Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Guate Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 02:53 AM   #21
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacayaforhops View Post
Can you describe the off taste? I made a spiced porter 2 years ago that smelled like (and tasted like) firecracker smoke until I cold conditioned for a couple of weeks and the yeast dropped out of suspension, then it tasted like it was supposed to (used Wyeast irish ale though), there is still hope for it.
Plastic/solvent/band-aid like taste....quite strong especially in the after taste. The taste is what I have read, but never actually tasted, phenols taste like.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 03:26 AM   #22
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacayaforhops View Post

Sounds more like acetone/acetaldehyde, the yeast should clean it up after a couple of weeks conditioning if you let it sit on the yeast cake. Phenols smell like clove/spices in the best of cases or (burnt) plastic in the worst.

You should let it sit for a few more weeks anyway. I'd recommend 3-4 weeks primary for ales over 1.060 OG, it's worked well for me with my stout and weizenbock, the first made with wyeast irish ale, the second with wyeast kolsch yeast (had some serious banana going on in the later).

You could also purge it with CO2 once you have it kegged, carb to 60 PSI @ 40*F over the weekend and then let the gas come out through the relief valve until the foam hits it, let sit until the foam dies down and repeat until you're at 10 PSI or the smell is acceptable. I had to do that with a steam beer that came out with too much, wouldn't you know it, phenol (clove); one of my best beers so far once the phenol was dialed down.
Could be, no strong odor, just a powerful bad after taste. I would like to do a taste test of these compounds one day (rather than discovering them in my brew) so I had definite point of reference.

Good news is that I brewed the IPA with intent of letting is do some extended conditioning while we are cruising (March-June). So, I plan to check it later in Feb and then just let it sit till we get back...at this point I have nothing to lose....it can't get any worse.

I was also thinking that CO2 might scrub some of the off-flavor. I transferred 5 gallons to a keg and put 40PSI @ 65F to it on Thursday. I plan to bleed off the pressure and check it on Sunday...if it tastes a bit better then I will probably repeat the CO2 scrubbing cycle.

The remaining 5 gallons is still in the conical fermentor. I drained off about a cup of the trub on Thursday so it is still sitting on some yeast. I will probably also transfer this to a keg so I can control the temp better (the conical wont fit in the cooler).

My plan is to try a few weeks of CO2 scrubbing/conditioning and see if it makes any progress. Sure hope so -- the wort was awesome.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #23
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Bled off the pressure yesterday and allowed the keg to off-gas at low pressure over night. Taste seems to be slightly improved today. Reapplied pressure (about 50psi @ 60F ... trying to stay within ale yeast temps). Plan to repeat this process a few times to see if it makes further progress.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #24
pacayaforhops
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I decided to follow suit, brewed my first IPA on sunday, adjusted the water profile with some MgSO4 I scored at college, some NaSO4 and some plain sea salt, used about a 1/2 pound of grain (crystal and brown malts) and 3 1 kilo packs of light dme from distribuidora caribe, 1/3 willamette and 2/3 EKG, to get as british a taste/smell as I can get with what I have (didn't go that high on the IBU's, 36 or OG, 1.054), 4.5 gallons worth pitched onto my british isles yeast mix (wyeast, thames valley ale/irish ale), it's coming along nicely, and the smell... I can't wait for it to be done.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #25
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Cool. Two IPA's perking in Guate. The smell of mine was quite wonderful too...until things went wrong. Hopefully mine will make a good recovery and we can compare them.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #26
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Bled off pressure for the second round of CO2 scrubbing yesterday. Tasted today -- definitely making progress. I actually drank two small samples today (rather than spitting out the first sip). I don't think it is likely this will turn into a great brew, but I think I can get it to be at least drinkable.

I plan to do one more round of C02 scrubbing (3 total) and then allow to condition for at least a couple of weeks before checking again.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #27
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hoorraaah! Today, was the ultimate test of whether I manged to salvage this beer. I gave my GF her first test sip....and she not only declared it drinkable, but good!

Quite a dramatic recovery...from something strongly resembling paint thinner to an OK English Ale. It's not going to win any awards, but at least it is drinkable.

The combination of CO2 scrubbing and more conditioning time appears to have worked quite well (not a controlled experiment of course, but the end result works).

Now, that means there is still hope for the IPA I plan to leave conditioning while were gone...until about July.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #28
pacayaforhops
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Mine came out underhopped to about 30 IBU, but it still makes a pretty good strong bitter if I say so myself, it's the best beer I've made so far; it really tastes english with all that East Kent Goldings in it, the brown & crystal malts and fermenting for a month help as well. I'm disappointed in my pursuit of the style, but very pleased with the results.

Glad to hear yours is coming along better than you thought it would.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #29
rappyfreak
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hi Guys! Rodrigo reporting from Guate city, just started this past decenber with my homebrewing adventures. Bought a Cooper's starter kit and brewed their IPA kit, my worst beer so far, the extract twang just kills me. Then I tried their Canadian blonde ale with added honey, still don't like it, some of my friends do. My next beer was a sweet stout with steeping grains and unhopped extract, much better but my boil volume was too low so I think it could be better, still a bit of a twang after 4 months in a bottle. Next I brewed a partial mash SS Minnow clone, it is a light amber ale, very nice, low bitrerness, low body but nice peppery taste from the yeast. Now I'm about to bottle a Surly Cynic partial mash clone thats been in the primary for 5 weeks (no time), the samples taste amazing! And I am also 2 weeks into fermenting my first all grain batch, a red multigrain ale with rye and wheat, my mash temp was pretty bad and could not raise the temp above 143 deg F so my OG was about 8 ponts lower than ideal. Since then I've made my 5 gal mash tun with false bottom, upgraded to an 8 gal brew kettle with fitting and silicone hose. Also have 2 more fermenters, an immersion chiller, a glass hydrometer, bottle tree, capper, bought more pet bottles, etc. So well setup for all grain. This week I'm bottling the surly, brewing an AG raspberry wheat for the wife. Next week I'm brewing an imperial stout, 4 months wait at least and bottling the red ale. Then going for a Hefe and lastly a Porter. Great to know I'm not alone in the hobby and really looking forward to meeting you guys and exchanging a few anecdotes over a couple our brews.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #30
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Bienvenidos Rodrigo!

Wow, sounds like you've been busy. Quite often off-flavors are the result of fermentation temps (problematic for me brewing on the Rio Dulce) -- have your ferms been in correct temp ranges for the yeast you are using? Some yeasts are more sensitive to temps than others.

My "cruising season" is just wrapping up and I am looking forward to "brewing season" (hurricane season). I left an IPA and my first attempt at a mead conditioning back in Guate when we left in April. So, we should have some interesting things to sample when we return. We left the boat in Panama and are working our way back overland to Guate. We sailed this year from Guate to Panama and made some interesting beer discoveries along the way. I plan to write a post about the more interesting beers we found along the way. Currently in Granada, Nicaragua (beautiful place -- a lot like Antigua, Guate). Should be back on the Rio Dulce tasting and brewing within a few weeks.

We also have a group here: "Ceveceros CA-4". There are not many of us yet, so be sure and sign up.

Saludos,

C

Quick Reply