Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Guate Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #221
pacayaforhops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quick update on my weevil woes, they didn't die with the week long trip to my beer fridge (resilient little bastards that they are) so I had to come up with a way of getting rid of 5-6 lbs of 10L Crystal malt and 3 lbs of Vienna malt, a Märzen seemed appropriate so I just made my 1st decoction mashed beer, started at 10:45'ish AM, just wrapped up & finished cleaning right now. In case anyone's interested, it's a partial mash 2 step decoction with lots of crystal 10L malt, hopefully it won't come out too sweet, I shortened the decoction boil time to compensate for the amount of crystal I'm using (2.5 lbs in all for a 5 gal batch), in case anyone's interested in making yours (you still have almost a full month to keep it authentic), here's the recipe:

Quarantine Märzen

5 gal

2.5 lbs Vienna malt
1.5 lb munich malt
2 lb crystal 10L
3 lbs XL DME
0.5 lb caramunich malt

1.2 gallon decoction from protein rest @ 125ºF to sacharification rest @ 155ºF, then another to mash out @ 175ºF, decoctions boiled for 10 min. DO NOT USE MORE THAN 1 GALLON TAP WATER! use filtered water if you must, otherwise try to keep it as soft as you can (bottled water). You can cut down on the crystal malts and raise the Vienna/Munich content and then boil the decoctions for 30 min, that will get you more melanoidins and less sweetness.

hop schedule (try to keep it all german or use nugget as bittering hops as a last resort):

0.5 oz Perle 7.9 AA% @ 60
0.5 oz Perle 7.9 AA% @ 10
0.5 oz Hallertau Select 1.5 AA% @ flameout
Saflager S-23 @ 18-22ºC

So, now I only need to dispose of 3-4 lbs of weevil infested crystal 10L malt, the good thing is the Vienna malt hadn't been as ravaged as the 10L crystal, so I'm still expecting lots of bready taste and some melanoidins with the Munich and caramunich in there as well.

Now that you know about me, how have you guys been doing? (I'd also like to hear from the rest of the CA-4 club members, don't get me wrong it's always nice to hear from the usual guys but it's also nice to get a surprise once in a while).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #222
firefarmer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

for those of you who use dist. caribe malt extract. do you have any secrets on how to make the final product less sweet? It seems like there are a large amount of unfermentable sugars in there.

also, I saw on pacayaforhops earlier post, something along the lines of distcaribe LME. Does dist caribe still sell LME? Did I miss it or just not ask the right questions in broken spanish. I was told they only had one kind of malt and it is not very light.

Thanks.

By the way. I'm still getting the hang of brewing in the tropics. When I have something worth sharing. I'll want to show it off.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #223
pacayaforhops
Recipes 

They've been out of DME for over a year with no ETA for more, I was lucky to score about 10 pounds when they still had it in stock, it was pretty good stuff; comparable to any big name light DME I've ever used.

As far as the LME, I run it in my recipe calculator as dark LME, SRM prediction comes out pretty accurate with that; on to the LME's residual sweetness, I've been using light brown sugar to thin the body in my beers a little, 2 pounds tops for 5.5% ABV or less, that lets you use 5 pounds of LME in stead of the 7.7 pounds in the gallon container, no detectable cidery acidic taste and adds a bit of complexity with the molasses the sugar is coated with; or you could go with plain white sugar or glucose syrup (also available at DC) if you're making a lager or light bodied ale. I usually go with the full LME container for heavier english style beers and partial mash for lagers.

In case you're interested, there's a tutorial on home malting at the CA-4 group. This would let you make pale 6-row malt which converts adjuncts better than 2-row and you could use rice flour that you can get at the supermarket for a partial mash light lager (think budweiser with a bit more character). My suggestion on ingredient bill is:

5 gal

3 pounds DC LME
3 pounds pale 6-row
2 pounds rice flour
2 pounds table sugar

mash thin 1.5+ qts/pound 20 min protein rest @ 125ºF, 6-row has more protein than 2-row, then sacharification @ 155ºF for about 1 hour, 20 min mash out @ 175ºF (make sure not to go over 180ºF, tannins are a bitch; I had to learn this the hard way), no sparge then add the rest of the water, boil and add LME and sugar at the end of the boil. It should give you better hops utilization and less kettle caramelization, predicted color in my calculator is 7 SRM, which is right in there with golden lagers. Even with crappy efficiency (60%) it should get you to 1.050 OG & 1.013 FG, which puts you in Export Lager territory.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #224
firefarmer
Recipes 

Thanks.

I am not very familar with extract brewing or the acronyms and had interpreted LME to be light malt extract rather than liquid. It looks like my options are partial mash or sugar. I've met a guatemalan who malts his own, he said he would let me help the next time he does it. If that doesn't come together I will look at the tutorial. I like to brew with odd ingredients, do you think that fresh squesed cane juice would have a similar effect as the light brown sugar? I'm willing to have a wide range of outcomes. my brews are informal to say the least.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #225
firefarmer
Recipes 

Oh, also, thanks for the tip to add the LME at the end of the boil. Perhaps the carmelization is what I percieve as extra sweetness. For the moment, I don't have the equipment to do a partial mash. At some point I hope to.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:39 AM   #226
pacayaforhops
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefarmer View Post
Thanks.

I like to brew with odd ingredients, do you think that fresh squesed cane juice would have a similar effect as the light brown sugar? I'm willing to have a wide range of outcomes. my brews are informal to say the least.
It'd make the beer have a more floral/fruity taste, light brown sugar is regular table sugar dipped in molasses (kind of like fake tanned sugar), so that will give you a more pronounced caramel taste. Either one will give it more character, but depending on the style it might or might not be the right character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefarmer View Post
Oh, also, thanks for the tip to add the LME at the end of the boil. Perhaps the carmelization is what I percieve as extra sweetness. For the moment, I don't have the equipment to do a partial mash. At some point I hope to.
All you need that you don't have yet is a grain mill and a mash paddle, comes to about Q150 (if you get a decent mill); I mash my grains in the same pot I boil the wort. For malting you'll need a bucket, some couching space and a 6'X3' length of window screen (and lots of sunlight, which we'll be getting for the next few months).

Old 03-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #227
rappyfreak
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Got myself some beers down in Panama, nome too shabby!

image-1905134793.jpg  

Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #228
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 48 Posts

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised by the selection in Bocas del Toro last year. Looking forward to returning. Should be there in a few weeks.

Currently on Isla Ometepe in Nicaragua. Way cool place but no good beer options. Although for a production brew Tona is at least very drinkable.

Given the limited beer options, at least they have excellent rum. Now having Flor de Cana con agua de coco...yumm!

Old 03-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #229
viso88
Recipes 

Hope everyone is doing Ok. I´ve been a little busy with some other stuff at work, but back to the homebrewing experience!!!!!

Old 03-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #230
rappyfreak
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What have you been up to viso? Any new brews? I have a porter ready to bottle next week and want to brew an imperial stout the following week. The porter smells amazing!

Quick Reply