Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Guate Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 03:30 AM   #191
pacayaforhops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I was still having problems with too much tannins in my bitter (making it too bitter and slightly acidic), so having O-chem2 fresh in my mind I figured if they're mostly polyphenols which affix to proteins, I could probably use some hydrolyzed protein to wash them away. So, I looked it up and wouldn't you know it, the cheapest hydrolyzed protein you can get is unflavored gelatin, so gelatin finings it is.

Tannins are responsible for the astringency in tea, coffee & the higher kilned malts. I also found out that gelatin finings are the preferred method for removing tannins from wine as well.

I just mixed them in today, so I'll let you guys know how it turns out in about a week.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #192
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Be sure and post how that works out.

On an impulse, because it was only $4, I recently purchased "Brewing Beer: Problems (Troubleshooting Your Home Brew)" by "Homebrew Hendricks". Even at $4 I was disappointed, better info here on HBT. This transaction may influence me to sign up for Amazon Prime. With Prime I could have checked this book out for $0...a better fair market value I think.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #193
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just got back home today from working a charter in Belize, and sampled my Braggot, Cerveza Rosa, and Pilsener. All are coming along quite nicely.

I plan to be back in the City in a couple of weeks...hopefully there will be enough left to share!

Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 AM   #194
pacayaforhops
Recipes 

Couldn't wait the whole week (overnight should be long enough for the reaction), I thought the beer would take about a week to carbonate, but it's already back where it needs to be.

It's worked out pretty good actually, the tannins were so strong that they were masking the hops aroma. There is some astringency left to where you would think I used chocolate malt rather than brown malt, but it's much more balanced to where you get a hint of the crystal malt I used and now you can smell the wonderful EKG hops, and the very faintest hint of citrus from the tangerine peel.

Let me know when you'll be back in town, I'll make sure to bottle a few samples of this one for when we get together I have loads of free time right now so I can stay up late most of the week after work or meet up in the morning.

PS: I'd really appreciate it if you could bring some EC-1118 yeast, I'd like to get into making blackberry wine/melomel among other things. Let me know if you want any of the ones I have, including the shrine valley funk mix.

Wyeast Thames valley ale
Wyeast Irish ale
Wyeast California lager
Wyeast german wheat (innoculated with lacto for berliner weisse)
Wyeast Kolsch
Wayne ale (thames valley & irish ale mix)
Wayne german ale (Kolsch & California lager mix)
Wayne shrine valley funk mix (german ale with Brettanomyces sp.)

Quick reminder, this thread was started 1 year & 3 days ago...

Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #195
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacayaforhops View Post

Let me know when you'll be back in town, I'll make sure to bottle a few samples of this one for when we get together I have loads of free time right now so I can stay up late most of the week after work or meet up in the morning. ...

PS: I'd really appreciate it if you could bring some EC-1118 yeast, I'd like to get into making blackberry wine/melomel among other things...

Quick reminder, this thread was started 1 year & 3 days ago...
I should be in the city about 10 days from now. Will have a more definite date soon and will post it.

I will bring along some samples too. Had a little tasting at a friend's marina last night of my current brews. Menu attached.

Be happy to bring along some EC-1118. I think I still have some banked, but if not have several meads/melomels conditioning and can extract a bit. Also interested in some samples of yours, but will wait till next brewing season because we are about to head back to Panama. Be back in about 4-6 months I think. So, my brewing season is over and I will get a fresh sample when I return.

Cool that our little group has grown. I also have a friend here on the Rio who has gotten back into brewing. Tried an IPA of his recently that was quite good. Maybe a CA-4 event down on the Rio next season? I've got a guest house, brew kitchen, and coolers at your disposal. And, several different friends who own marinas/hotels here who would be happy to host.

File Type: pdf Brew Menu.pdf (305.5 KB, 28 views)

Old 01-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #196
rappyfreak
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds like a plan guys! lets meet in 10 days, lemme know, I am pretty much available now. Also definitely agree on doing a tour of la cerveceria de Curtis! That menu looks tasty! I need to get back into brewing next week, still have the ingredients for the porter and the Imperial stout to brew.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #197
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Change of plans, have some documents to complete, and need to be in the City next week. We now plan to drive up on Sunday and be there for a few days. Does that work out for you guys?

Old 02-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #198
pacayaforhops
Recipes 

Quite well actually, I can get together any day after 8:00 PM, mon-wed before 3:00 PM or sunday all day. Let me know which works out best.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #199
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Good. We will be driving on Sunday so probably not then. Maybe Monday night

Rappy? When's good for you?

Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #200