Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Guate Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #181
firefarmer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis2010 View Post
I am working on upgrading my batch sizes and am about to order a 15 gallon brew pot.
That sounds like a nice upgrade.

I've seen the aluminum pots in zone 1 and elsewhere but was looking for stainless. I'll try home green. Thanks for the tip.

I have thought about getting one of the large blue enamel pots because they look old school and are relatively inexpensive, but was worried that likely imperfections in the glaze could cause negative interactions between the iron and the wort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #182
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefarmer View Post
That sounds like a nice upgrade.

I've seen the aluminum pots in zone 1 and elsewhere but was looking for stainless. I'll try home green. Thanks for the tip.

I have thought about getting one of the large blue enamel pots because they look old school and are relatively inexpensive, but was worried that likely imperfections in the glaze could cause negative interactions between the iron and the wort.

I expect the enameled pots would be fine for boiling wort, but a problem for installing fittings.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #183
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:

I expect the enameled pots would be fine for boiling wort, but a problem for installing fittings.
I use an enamel pot. They'll rust if the enamel chips so just inspect them before each brew. I wouldn't want rust in my brew! At <20 bucks it's a cheap replacement.
You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:19 AM   #184
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Cerveza Rosa

I bottled up some of my latest iteration of "Cerveza Rosa" (a light Ale, Saaz hops, and Rosa Jamica) today so I could share it at New Years. Nice red color and a pinkish head. Not bad, but with some I bottled earlier I am having spoilage problems. I don't think this bottle will last long enough for that to become a problem.

Pic attached of the new good bottle and the old, that is not necessarily bad, but has some pretty good funk growing on top. This has happened to a couple of bottles/samples along the way so I think it is somehow related to the Rosa Jamica (actual extract I made directly from dried flowers, not that sugary artificial stuff, boiled, no sugar added).

Pacaya, as our resident food sciences guy, any ideas or suggestions?

sdc12532.jpg   sdc12534.jpg  

Old 12-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #185
pacayaforhops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Looks like Brettanomyces sp. if you want to kill it, pasteurizing (heating the bottle in a water bath for 5 min @ 180*F+) will usually do the trick.

If it were me, I'd let it age for about 3-6 months and see if it's drinkable; rosa de jamaica sour ale sounds tasty. Worse comes to worse, it tastes like wet dog, you loose a couple of bottles for 6 months and dump 5L of beer.

If you want to get rid of it off the bottle walls you can use bleach as usual and for the cap seal you can use chlorohexidine mouthwash (let it soak for a few min, you can get it at most pharmacies, ask for "gluconato de clorohexidina en enjuague").

On an unrelated note: I just had my first weevil infestation (or rather I just noticed) over the weekend, couriously enough it's not in my home malted grain but in my 10L crystal malt I bought from that guy in Antigua a few years ago, tried using long chain fatty acids (non toxic to humans or any mammals as far as I'm aware of) but there were some survivors so i sent them to my gulag in siberia... i mean the beer fridge.

In other news; I decided to spice things up, so to speak, and made a mandarin orange peel spiced standard bitter (hence noticing the infestation). I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along. I'll be laying off the 5%+ ABV brews for a while.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #186
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hey there's a fine a idea, a Guate Sour. I think I will let a few bottles continue along that route while I am gone and see what they taste like. No big loss at this point.

I tried a few sours while in the States are really liked them. So, it is definitely on my list to brew anyway.

Re grains. As I recall Distrib. Caribe has 2-row and 6-row barley -- correct? I assume they also have wheat? Another other grains you know of that they carry. I'm designing my all-grain system and would like to take a shot at an all-grain brew from mostly ingredients available in Guate.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #187
pacayaforhops
Recipes 

Quote:
Re grains. As I recall Distrib. Caribe has 2-row and 6-row barley -- correct? I assume they also have wheat? Another other grains you know of that they carry. I'm designing my all-grain system and would like to take a shot at an all-grain brew from mostly ingredients available in Guate.
As far as I know D-Caribe only carries dark liquid extract, CENMA's where I get the 6-row barley & wheat that I home-malt, home-malting might be worth looking into if you're going all grain with local stuff, here are a few guides I've used to make mine:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/happ...alting-107409/
http://brewery.org/brewery/library/Malt.html
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/home...needed-138483/
http://www.franklinbrew.org/wp/?page_id=391

The last one works in case you'd rather not home-malt the crystal malts, you can sub some of them with candy sugar and/or syrup.

The way I malt mine is :
  • wash the grain
  • soak for 4 hours, air for 8 for, then repeat for 2 days
  • spread it in a wide mouth plastic bucket and fold the grain into itself (kind of like beating eggs) every day twice for 3-5 days until the acrospire (1st leaf blade) has grown up to the top of the grain on 4 out of 5 from a couple of random samples
  • spread on 6'X3' window screen mesh
  • set it in the sun for 2 days (1 if you're making crystal malts)
  • bake at < 200*F for 1 hour for pale malt or vary temp/time depending on the kind of malt

Be sure to pick the weevils off as they come out of the grain, most will get washed off at the beginning but some will mature at the germination step of the process and they will easily infest any grain that might be near by in an open container; I usually germinate in my bathroom because of the white tile, it allows me to see weevils more easily, it's all good once you bake the malt, I've never had issues with weevils in my home-malted grain.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #188
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks much for the info. I don't have time left this season to malt, but definitely on the list for next season. An AG brew using mostly local ingredients sounds interesting.

As is finishing up my brew kitchen, building my 3-tier AG rig, installing a better water filtration system, building a lagering cellar...I stay pretty busy for an unemployed old gringo!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #189
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Cerveza Rosa....yumm!

Just had a glass of my latest iteration of "Cerveza Rosa"...and it is yummy. My SWMBO suggested that it might be tasty with a little lime...and she was right (of course)!

A nice light ale with touch of Rosa Jamica (RJ) and Lime...perfect for sitting by the pool (or the Rio in my case) in the summer....and watching the chicas stroll by...

I've tried a few different approaches to this, but here are the basics of the most recent batch (the one I like best so far). I ferment and carbonate in corny kegs, but you could modify to fit your gear of course.

1. Brew a nice light ale with a mild hops schedule (something that won't hide the RJ flavor or color). In this case I brewed a basic ale using Saaz hops. Recipe attached. I don't add the RJ extract until bottling. One thing I like about this approach is that I have a nice light ale on tap and Cerveza Rosa bottled (I use swing-top bottles and bottle from the keg). Ferment ale to completion and force carbonate.

2. Just before bottling day, brew up a batch of RJ tea very concentrated. I use natural dried flowers (not the extract concentrate crap). The issue of course with this is that you are using a natural product so the concentration varies. Brew very strong and then later blend to color/taste. I put about 2 fist fulls of dried flowers per liter of water. Brew up enough to equal about 40% of the planned bottling volume. I suggest 40% because, depending upon the resulting intensity of your RJ extract, I've found that about 30%+ hits the mark for color and taste so 40% gives you some extra volume in case you need it for blending to taste and color. I go for enough RJ concentrate to get a nice reddish color and a tinge of pink in the head. I suggest a couple of test blends in a glass first before bottling.

3. Add about 30% by volume to your bottle(s) (I use 1 liter swing-top bottles so start with 300ml RJ). Use bottle filler to top up bottle and cap on foam. Store in fridge/cooler and let it condition for a week or so.

Racking onto RJ extract in secondary works well to, but I find a I get a bit fresher RJ flavor and color if I bottle onto RJ.

File Type: pdf Cerveza Rosa.pdf (118.8 KB, 40 views)

Old 01-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #190
pacayaforhops
Recipes 

Thanks for the tips, I might have to look into this as the standard bitter I brewed came out with too much tannins, so I'll have to either add more flavor or cover it up with light brown sugar. Lesson learned, steeping grains for extract beer should be done at mash temp, not boil temp.

Quick Reply