Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Guate Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #111
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by viso88 View Post
Please can you be more specific! Is this bar located in la cupula? Zone 9? What else can you tell me that is near by so I can locate the bar? I used to know a bar called lolita y revoler is this the same bar? Thanks
It's in Zone 10.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #112
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by viso88 View Post
Hey guys! Excellent I am starting in all of the home brewing stuff made my first batch blonde ale, don't know if the beer tastes as it should be but people that have tried it say is ok! I want to join the group but don't know where to, happy to see home brewers in my Guatemala!
Cool. See that you have joind the "Cerveceros CA-4" group. Pacaya has posted a lot of good info here about sources of supplies here in Guate (limited, but some things like LME avaiable). Welcome aboard.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #113
pacayaforhops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis2010 View Post
Guys, forgot a bout a previous commitment, so I probably won't make it tonight, but should be back through the City again within a week.
Ok, next week it is then...

Old 10-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #114
rappyfreak
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Welcome aboard viso! Good to have another one here, if you need any help just holler. The bar is in front of Academia Europea on z10. Behave Wayne! Lol

Good thing it is next week Curtis, this week I could not make it, I have one of those nasty colds that are going around. We'll see you next week then

Old 10-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #115
viso88
Recipes 

Thanks for the information! Get well soon Rodrigo! Hopefully I will meet you guys next week!

Old 10-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #116
pacayaforhops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If anyone's interested, I have a culture of my wild bugs I can hand out as well, I just took a sample of my wild ale I'm brewing for my 30th b-day next year and it tastes like what I understand Orval trappist ale tastes like, lots of esters and phenols but not much acidity, color is clear copper, moderate fusels at this point but the bugs will take care of it in a few months. Here's a pic of the pellicle in the bucket (bucket wrapped in saran wrap to prevent over oxidation):

Fermenting with this culture in an unwrapped bucket will get you an acetic lambic in about 1 year or a proper flanders red; doing so in a carboy (or wrapped up bucket) will get you more of a trappist abbey ale character in about 6 months (I can hear Rodrigo's mouth watering all the way to here).

Old 10-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #117
rappyfreak
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That pellicle looks perfect Wayne, very nice job, of course my mouth is watering!!! I'll bring the gerrman wheat yeast for you, really need your yeast Wayne.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #118
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hey, great idea to swap yeasts, given that we can't buy them here. I just started banking mine last season. I currently have some popular strains banked: SafAle US-05, SafLager S-23, SafLager W-34/70, EC-1118 (for mead). If any of you are interested in any of these strains then let me know. I don't have them here in the City, but can send them to you when I get back on the Rio.

Just started my first brew with the banked US-05 about a week ago and it was definitely still viable -- good thing I decided to rig a blow-off tube!

Back in the City today, just returned from Chichicastenago...sure would be easier to brew in that climate than the Rio! In the City for a few days so should be around for this Wednesday if you guys are up for it ??

Old 10-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #119
amrmedic
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just found this thread. I live in Florida but sometimes go to Guatemala. I adopted my 2 girls from there, so I go back. Nice country. Love Antigua. I may be going down there beginning of next year. If I do, Ill let you guys know and if you want some stuff, Ill bring it with me. Im happy to see a healthy homebrew group down there. While adopting my girls, I got to like Gallo. Drank alot of it in place of water.

Eights & Aces Brewery
Dealing life one beer at a time

Old 10-16-2012, 04:59 AM   #120
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Let's us know when you come back down. I used to live Bradenton, FL and captain charters for SunSail out of St. Pete (and a few other charter companies in SW FL). Great cruising ground in SW FL.

There are some better brews starting to trickle into Guate, like some by Brooklyn Brewery.

Quick Reply