Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Grumble, gripe and groan, damn yeasties not cooperating.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Grumble, gripe and groan, damn yeasties not cooperating.

So I had this irish red set up that I made with some dry yeast of questionable age but I figured I'd send it in, since it seemed as pretty active when I set it up with some thing to eat a few hours before brew time.

And in the primary it seems to cook along fine, putting it's 'pretty lace' on in the form of a healthy krausen the never next day and settles into a nice pattern for the next few, slowing about day 5 enough that I think it's time to pull it off to secondary.

The yeast union apparently didn't like the smaller quarters because they immediately decided to go on strike. Ungrateful bastards.

So I had to haul my lazy butt down to the HBS to pick up more yeast. Decided to stick with the ever reliable smack pac this time.

I know repitching the yeast is part of life in brewing but it's just a pita soemtimes.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2006, 10:49 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I'd recommend keeping some dried yeast around for emergency re-pitching. The initial ferment and original yeast would be done and the characteristics you are looking for already in the ale. The long shelf life eliminates extra trips.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-22-2006, 10:53 PM   #3
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

yeah-- that's what that dry yeast was doing in my brew kit int eh first place. Since it was getting older I thoguht I'd use it before it croaked. I've got another packet ofdry yeast but that's even older. I got it from my old man and he had no idea how old it was-- the packet jsut says 'brewers yeast'.

Yeah-- I'm picking up another bit of dry yeast for that purpose.

I still think the yeast does this on purpose.

: )

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Quick Reply