The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > GRR!!! Off-flavor developing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
dblvsn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default GRR!!! Off-flavor developing

Brewed a Fat Tire clone from Midwest Supplies here a few months back. I usually taste my beers through the process and from the beginning of dumping it into the primary the beer just didn't seem right. But I figured hey its a Belgium beer... what is right about them? Anyways fermentation finished and I racked it over to the secondary. Again something just wasn't right, not bad, but still not right. So onto bottling and aging. Let it age in the bottles for about 2 weeks before tasting one. It was drinkable still not good. It got fairly decent after about 5 or 6 weeks in the bottles. Its been close to 10 weeks in the bottles now and there's a horrific metallic flavor developing in the beer. Had my neighbor come over and try one and that was the first thing he noticed as well. I've researched flaws in beers and many sites pointed to contact with metal (This beer was brewed in an aluminum turkey fryer pot, but have brewed beers since in it that turned out fine) Also found some info that malt stored improperly can lead to metallic flavors. Can anyone help me figure out the most probable cause of this off flavor? I hadn't really noticed the metallic flavor in the beer till recently.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Was it brewed from LME in a can? If it's been in the can a while, it can get a metallic twang to the taste.

The worst beer I ever made was a hefeweizen from a kit. The LME was dark and tasted like the can. Since there was very little hops flavor to hide it, the flavor flaw was pretty obvious in the final product.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 03-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
dblvsn

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The LME in the kits I've bought from Midwest has always come in the 1/2 gallon milk jugs. Usually their ingredients are fairly fresh as turnover is high. Its kind of a coppery/bloody taste if that helps.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Are the bottles over-carbonated? Carbonic acid has a metallic bitter taste. Metallic flavours can also be the result of water that is too acidic, do you know anything about your water?

Old 03-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
dblvsn

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterio
Are the bottles over-carbonated? Carbonic acid has a metallic bitter taste. Metallic flavours can also be the result of water that is too acidic, do you know anything about your water?
Now that you mention it this beer does seem to have some carb bite to it, which is odd because I only used 5 oz. of priming sugar for 5 gallons in the bottling process and haven't had any problems before. I have checked the PH of my water and its about 6. I do run my brew water through a water filter before I brew.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4199 Times on 3057 Posts
Likes Given: 778

This is what John Palmer says about metallic off-flavors:

Metallic
Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

The protective (grayish) oxides of aluminum can be enhanced by heating the clean pot in a dry oven at 250°F for about 6 hours.

I'm suspicious of the extract, because you noticed something "funny" right away. My Fat Tire clone (from AHS and then my own "kit") tasted good right away. Well, I'm not a FT fan, but there was nothing wrong with it and people loved it. In your case, it went from "not very good" to "very bad".

What kind of yeast did you use? I don't think that's an issue at all, but maybe worth a thought.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Chick
I'm suspicious of the extract, because you noticed something "funny" right away. My Fat Tire clone (from AHS and then my own "kit") tasted good right away. Well, I'm not a FT fan, but there was nothing wrong with it and people loved it. In your case, it went from "not very good" to "very bad".

What kind of yeast did you use? I don't think that's an issue at all, but maybe worth a thought.

I did the midwest fat tire kit about 6 months ago and there was nothing wrong with it from an off flavor or metallic perspective (plus I have used plenty of extract from midwest with out a problem in the past)....well, short of the fact that they sell it with belgian ale yeast.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
Tophe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed that brew Monday......It'll be a while before im tasting it.

All tanks are empty :(

Drinking: A two year old keg of Eff'd up MawN Lower Beer I made !
TindleKrauft Brewing

Old 03-29-2007, 03:12 AM   #9
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I made a couple batchs pretty metalic. Didn't have to dump them, just not so good. My best guess was the stainless false bottom I had made. I left it soaking in too much chlorine for a week. It had a white oxide on it. I tried phosphoric acid, still white oxide, so I tossed it and went to a braid. And a charcol filter, and umm, a CFC, and um, made good beer.

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 03-29-2007, 12:50 PM   #10
dblvsn

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Chick
Used a tube of WLP530 Abbey Ale yeast with a starter. Fermentation was a little slower than I expected off of a starter, but the temperature was a little cool in the room where I had my primary at the time. Once the temperature came up it took off as normal.

Quick Reply