Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Growing malted barley

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 02:51 AM   #1
corkybstewart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Default Growing malted barley

A friend gave me a bucket of grain that he had not labeled and had no idea what it was. After it sat a couple of years in my garage I mixed it with bird seed and fed it to the birds(my birds (NM birds don't like malted barley). Barley sprouted under the bird feeder so I did a quick experiment. At the edge of my garden I planted a short row of Weyermann's Pilsner malt using about a cup. Some of it sprouted so I'll have a very small barley crop this year.
What puzzles me is that the malting process requires the malt to germinate so how can it germinate again? Or does the malting process at large maltsters just allow a certain percentage of kernels to not germinate.
Obviously Weyermann makes great malt so it doesn't affect beer quality but it makes me wonder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 02:58 AM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 62

My guess is that the germination process is just halted during malting and that the seed is capable of continuing the germination process under the right conditions, just a guess though.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 06-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

The only way you would get some malt to germinate would be if some of it failed to germinate during the malting process. Pretty much, once a seed starts to germinate, there is no going back. If you dry it (especially) in an oven, it is dead, an ex-seed.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 06-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
corkybstewart

Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
The only way you would get some malt to germinate would be if some of it failed to germinate during the malting process. Pretty much, once a seed starts to germinate, there is no going back. If you dry it (especially) in an oven, it is dead, an ex-seed.
That was my thought also, but I'm a geologist not a biologist. So my question is still what percentage of the barley we brew with is actually not malted.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
TimT
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkybstewart View Post
That was my thought also, but I'm a geologist not a biologist. So my question is still what percentage of the barley we brew with is actually not malted.
A very tiny amount. One of the requirements for selling malting barley is it has to have a very high germination rate, in mid to high 90s.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
Brewer Gerard
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wanted some maris otter to grow at home so i planted some malted grains and guess what.

Was quite skeptical but i got 10 plants from a few hundred seeds (very approx). Who would've thought

Quick Reply