Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Gross Black Thing in Bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
DylansDad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Gross Black Thing in Bottle

Well damn. I put two of the Irish Reds in the fridge for tonight since the wife was out and I wanted to enjoy them slowly and quietly. I open the first and pour it into a glass and when I rinse the bottle out a black dot come out. Like a patch of mold. Crap. Crap. Crap. Not wanting to take a chance (I already had food poisoning this week thank you very much) I pour the glass out.

Now I only have one to enjoy. Crap.

That is all. Thanks for letting me vent.

mmmmmmmmmmm Beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

How do you know it was mold? It could have been yeast, or a hop fleck, or a chunk of extract that burned at the bottom of the pot. I would have at least smelled and taken a tiny taste before dumping it.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 01-11-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
DylansDad
Recipes 

Yeah, I tried to get it before it went down the drain. No such luck. It was really dark and definitely didn't look like any of the other sediment from the batch. The issue was I couldn't rule out the mold. Better safe than sorry.

If you mean the beer: It had a lot more head than the last bottles and smelled fine. I just didn't want to take a chance.

mmmmmmmmmmm Beer.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith View Post
I would have at least smelled and taken a tiny taste before dumping it.
Or streak it on a plate and see if it grows fur.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
Shawn Hargreaves
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You don't generally need to worry about food poisoning from beer. As long as it did ferment, there will be enough alcohol in there that nothing truly nasty can survive. There are plenty of things that can make your beer smell and taste seriously foul, but nothing that will make you sick. So as long as it smells good enough to make you want to drink it, you are safe to do so.

The only way I can imagine you could end up with serious health threatening nasties in a beer is if it didn't ferment at all (you forgot to pitch yeast, or they all died for some reason) so you just ended up with rotten sugars. It would be pretty obvious if that happened, though: you'd be able to smell it a mile off and would have way more gunk than just the odd black fleck :-)

Old 01-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2256 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

I had a brownish patch flow down the drain once. I opened an older beer and it gushed. I ran to the sink and this thing came sliding down the drain. I drank the other bottles with no problems.

How old is the beer, and did you use used bottles? It's hard for me to imagine a dark spot equals an infection like that. Usually you get those from leftover beer sitting in the bottom of the bottle for a while. I sometimes need to clean that from old bottles I get form the store.

Anyway, you will not get poisoning from beer. Mostly it will taste bad, and might give you the runs or gas if it's green. Generally it will be sour or just nasty tasting.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #7
lx302
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The mold might have been left over from not cleaning the bottle thoroughly from the first usage.

Quick Reply