The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Grolsch = skunky or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 02:11 AM   #1
Jesse17
Yep....I tell you what...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Grolsch = skunky or not?

I just bought a 4-pack of Grolsch 'Premium Lager' (for the bottles) and tried it for the first time. My first reaction was 'yuck'. To me, it tasted like a BMC (which I don't mind) but with a...I want to say sour taste. Not really a hoppy bitter taste, but more of a sour taste to it.

I kept thinking that I recognized the tasted from somewhere, and about the 3rd 16ozer. it hit me where I recognized the taste from...Heineken. I've never liked the stuff, but always heard about how 'skunky' it is.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, "Is the 'sour' taste what people refer to as 'skunky beer', or just part of the style?

I did notice that it's in a green bottle like Heineken, so I'm thinking that the 'skunky theory' is a reasonable proposition, as to why they remind me of each other.

What do y'all say on the subject?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 02:31 AM   #2
cclloyd

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I have to agree - Grolsch and Heiney both have a disagreeable "skunked" flavor that I am not at all fond of. I don't know if it's intentional or a byproduct of the green bottle and extended transport under less than ideal conditions. I do know that I'd rather get my Grolsch bottles empty than filled with what they come with.
I almost think it's intended for them to have that flavor because every single one I have ever tasted have all had it. I guess the only way tro really find out is to try it on tap or hmmmm....... go to Amsterdam?

Old 02-22-2008, 02:39 AM   #3
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Try Heineken in a can, it is quite different, way better. I would say that most imported beers are better in the cans, at least they are not skunked and you can taste the beer.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:41 AM   #4
Vermicous

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've had reasonably fresh grolsch and it's good, not great, but good. However, probably 90% of the bottles I usually get are skunked to some degree.

I'm like a chocoholic, but for booze.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:54 AM   #5
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Grolsch does = skunky, IMO.

They have a two-fold problem though. They are known for their green bottles, so they can't really change that without a marketing problem. They also make a pretty light generic American Pilsner lager which is the style most likely to skunk. Combine that with the fact that they have to ship it overseas & that it doesn't "move" like BMC off the shelves, and you have a great recipe for skunky beer.

I've tried their Amber, and although it's in a clear bottle it's actually a pretty good brew....ales are much less likely to skunk, IMO.

I have had so many skunked or wet cardboard tasting lagers that it's not even worth it to me to buy an "off-brand" lager anymore....not that I even care for that style anyway.

I bought $150 worth of Russian/Czech/Lithunia/any_other_country_you_can_imagine beers (seems they are mainly lagers) and so far they have all been horrible. I am trying to be fair when I judge them because I would bet my house that they have been on the shelf I found them on for at least a year......

I would really like to try Grolsch & many other beers fresh from the brewery.....

Last edited by maltMonkey; 02-22-2008 at 02:56 AM.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:07 AM   #6
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 1

At least you've got 4 new swing-tops.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
Jesse17

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7
At least you've got 4 new swing-tops.
+1

I noticed that it's not really bad at all, if used to chase a shot of tequila.

I may have to get more tequila and more Grolsh this weekend. (just for the bottles of course)

Old 02-22-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've got a small wall of Groslh bottles behind me. I keg and have a BMBF and stopper to fit them. That combo really can't be beat, IMO.

That said, I've had skunky Grolsh from crappy beer stores and well kept beer stores offer "good" Grolsh.

The skunking is because it comes in a green bottle and was exposed to light. Brown bottles do a better job of reducing the light that gets through. This is something that could happen to all beer, mishandled.

Grolsh when it's "good" is very similar to BMC, actually.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 02-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #9
Jesse17

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dean
That said, I've had skunky Grolsh from crappy beer stores and well kept beer stores offer "good" Grolsh.

The skunking is because it comes in a green bottle and was exposed to light. Brown bottles do a better job of reducing the light that gets through. This is something that could happen to all beer, mishandled.

Grolsh when it's "good" is very similar to BMC, actually.
I noticed it's similarity to BMC, what I was really asking is, Is the kind of sour taste what everyone refers to as 'skunky'?

I got it at a local grociery store, because that's the closes thing to a beer store in my town. I'm sure it's sat on the shelf for a while, as I think all non BMC does in this town. And naturely, it was on the front of the top shelf, about 6" from the florecent tube style light in the beer case.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iordz
Try Heineken in a can, it is quite different, way better. I would say that most imported beers are better in the cans, at least they are not skunked and you can taste the beer.
I like the mini-kegs despite the horrific commercials. It's AMAZING how smooth Heineken is when it isn't skunked. I'm never had a Grolsch that wasn't skunked to high-heaven. What's funny is that lots of people actually get used to the skunk flavor and attribute it to "good" import flavor.

Quick Reply