The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Grill brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
DavidSteel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Grill brewing?

So, SWMBO declared that I can't brew in the house because it SMELLS bad?!!!! I could not and cannot grasp what her senses are telling her. I love the smell of boiling hops. Anyway, since I don't yet have a propane burner, someone suggested I try boiling on the grill. Take out the piece of metal that is covering the flames etc. I told them it wouldn't work. I have a 30 aluminum turkey fryer, has anyone tried this with success?

Also, I'm going out to buy the necessary items to build a mash tun today. Going to follow this guide: http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/mashtun.htm. Any suggestions/thoughts? Can I use regular 3/8" tubing for the whole build, or do I need some high-temp tubing?

Last edited by DavidSteel; 11-27-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
yuppiecruncher
Recipes 

I got the same smells bad speech from my girlfriend. I feel your pain friend. I did move outside with a hot plate temporarily. I can't tell if you are talking about a propane grill or a charcoal one. The propane would be fine, just try and get the heat up enough for a good boil. That said, I don't think its a good idea to put an aluminum pot on a charcoal flame. Its hot enough to melt your pot (if there was no liquid inside to cool it). Its unlikely that it actually will, but not worth the risk to me. The other problems with charcoal are lack of oxygen getting to coals and developing cold spots. You might run into a lot of problems with keeping the heat consistent. You would have to monitor it constantly. Get yourself a nice hotplate for about $10 at walmart or something, heck, get two. You can find cheap propane burners on craigslist or if you're desperate, Ebay. Another option is installing a hotstick into your kettle. I've seen many threads illustrating this method for small batch brewing. There are a multitude of how to's on the subject as well.

Primary - Hefeweizen 1.2
Primary #2 - Empty
Bottled - Hefeweizen 1.1

Old 11-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppiecruncher View Post
I got the same smells bad speech from my girlfriend. I feel your pain friend. I did move outside with a hot plate temporarily. I can't tell if you are talking about a propane grill or a charcoal one. The propane would be fine, just try and get the heat up enough for a good boil. That said, I don't think its a good idea to put an aluminum pot on a charcoal flame. Its hot enough to melt your pot (if there was no liquid inside to cool it). Its unlikely that it actually will, but not worth the risk to me. The other problems with charcoal are lack of oxygen getting to coals and developing cold spots. You might run into a lot of problems with keeping the heat consistent. You would have to monitor it constantly. Get yourself a nice hotplate for about $10 at walmart or something, heck, get two. You can find cheap propane burners on craigslist or if you're desperate, Ebay. Another option is installing a hotstick into your kettle. I've seen many threads illustrating this method for small batch brewing. There are a multitude of how to's on the subject as well.
Thanks, I forgot to mention that it is a propane grill. It seems like the flames wouldn't be high enough or something lol. Maybe it'll work, I'll try it. Also, I can't understand people not liking the smell hahaha.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

It's been brought up in a few threads in the past and I think the consensus was that it wouldn't work. The grill wouldn't get the pot hot enough to boil effeciently and side burners wouldn't support the weight. Worth trying if you want to throw a kettle of water on and see what it does though.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 11-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
It's been brought up in a few threads in the past and I think the consensus was that it wouldn't work. The grill wouldn't get the pot hot enough to boil effeciently and side burners wouldn't support the weight. Worth trying if you want to throw a kettle of water on and see what it does though.
Yeah, I figured as much

Old 11-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
Urban
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well HBTers i actually tried to brew on my grill a few years ago, it is a few steps up from a base model propane grill (been so long dont remeber the exact BTU rating) has three main burners and a side burner.

I tried the side burner, reinforced with a couple of spare 2x4s i had laying around to take the weight of the kettle, turned the burner on high, not enough power to boil the water.

Next i tried all three main burners on high, still wasnt enough to boil the water. I tried to get it to boil for more than 90 minutes i beleive and after the temperature plateaued i gave up.

Then decided to just brew indoors, make the house smell like boiling hops and piss off the SWMBO instead of wasting the batch.

So in short, if its a low or mid range propane grill i doubt it can brew beer.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Brew inside when she's not home? Get a cheap turkey fryer propane burner?

http://bayouclassiccooking.com/

Their doing a 20% off sale today

Enter code BlackFriday20

Old 11-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #8
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
Brew inside when she's not home? Get a cheap turkey fryer propane burner?

http://bayouclassiccooking.com/

Their doing a 20% off sale today

Enter code BlackFriday20
Still seems a bit pricey for a burner..

Old 11-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
Rowdy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSteel View Post
So, SWMBO declared that I can't brew in the house because it SMELLS bad?!!!! I could not and cannot grasp what her senses are telling her. I love the smell of boiling hops. Anyway, since I don't yet have a propane burner, someone suggested I try boiling on the grill. Take out the piece of metal that is covering the flames etc. I told them it wouldn't work. I have a 30 aluminum turkey fryer, has anyone tried this with success?

Also, I'm going out to buy the necessary items to build a mash tun today. Going to follow this guide: http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/mashtun.htm. Any suggestions/thoughts? Can I use regular 3/8" tubing for the whole build, or do I need some high-temp tubing?

problem solved no?

Cruiscín Lán Grúdlann
In wine there is wisdom, In beer there is freedom, In water there is bacteria.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
problem solved no?
Well, I have the kettle but not the propane burner.

Quick Reply