Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Green olive taste?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default Green olive taste?

I have had on two occasions tasting different friends brews and have noticed a green olive taste.. One was a mead wich I guess he used hops in and the other was a honey moon ale.. I can't tell what is causing that taste but I can't drink it.. Any idea what would cause a green olive taste?

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

wow...umm, the only thing I can think of is they were turning to vinegar, since green olives are packed in some kind of 'pickling juice' that has that sour vinegary twang to it.

I'm not enough of a hop enthusiast to say if any hop variaties have a green olive flavor/aroma.

It might just be you

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
novafire
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster View Post
I have had on two occasions tasting different friends brews and have noticed a green olive taste.. One was a mead wich I guess he used hops in and the other was a honey moon ale.. I can't tell what is causing that taste but I can't drink it.. Any idea what would cause a green olive taste?
I have experienced this in a beer once. I attributed it to some potentially old or stale hops, but I honestly don't know if that was really it. It was not a heavily hopped beer at all though.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt

Recipes 

I was thinking a reaction between the honey and the hops... I'm glad someone else has experienced it because it was only me tasting it and others didn't unless I said it has a green olive bite before they tasted it..

Father of 4 girls

Old 03-16-2011, 12:11 AM   #5
rjebrewer
Recipes 

I made a berliner weisse by inoculating with grain once and noticed a similar aroma. Not trying to sound the alarm, but after a lot of searching I concluded it to be a product of acetobacter in my case. If you figure that happened to you I wouldn't freak too bad, just clean all of you gear really well, replace tubing and other less expensive items and move on.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:03 AM   #6
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt

Recipes 

this was last week at my bowling league.. i have a couple friends that homebrew and we all bring a little to sample(hush hush no brown bagging) and he had a honey moon that just tasted like green olives and i remember having another friends mead that had the same pungent smell and tast and the only thing i can link between the two are hops and honey.. i believe he used 3# honey in the honey moon.. i just hate not liking someones homebrew..

Father of 4 girls

Old 03-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #7
veritas524
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My first crack at AG had an olive taste to it... very noticeable. Myself and a couple buddies got drunk in the process of brewing and my one friend took some leftover nugget I had from a month prior (ziplock bag) and chucked about an ounce in at 60 minutes... I was assuming that it was the nugget mixed w/ cascade that caused the smell and the taste, but maybe it is because the hops were stale. I still have a bunch of bottles left, because I honestly don't care for it. It was Edwart's Haus pale ale recipe btw.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:38 AM   #8
Stout-n-Braggot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've found a green olive taste in some commercial white wines, usually chardonnays that were mild on the mushroom side of the flavor, I always attributed it to mild oxidation.
Although old/stale hops could also be a cause, I have noticed that when I leave some sitting around too long with a poor seal they can occasionally give off a mild olive aroma.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
misskortney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have an amber with very strong olive flavors... after chatting with the 'experts' at the home brew store, and doing a little internet reading, we're thinking the chlorine in our water is what caused it. Our local municipality uses higher chlorine in the winter months, and I do not (never have) pre-boiled the water. There is also a chance we have a bacteria, but my sanitation is pretty by-the-book. I have a couple of other beers in fermentation, so we'll see what happens.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
veritas524
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I still never found out what caused that olive flavor, but I'm leaning towards oxidation as the last one I had was like chewing on a box... the judges of a comp.weren't sure what it was either.....

Quick Reply