Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Green Flash to open a brewery in Va Beach

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
vt_cbg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Green Flash to open a brewery in Va Beach

Looks like it will have the same capacity as San Diego and also have a tasting room. Set to begin constriction in 2014 and open in 2015.

Even though I don't live there anymore, I still have family in the area. I can't wait to check it out!http://hamptonroads.com/2013/03/cali...ewery-va-beach

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I think that would be awesome...we go through VA Beach about once a year on the way to vacation, and I'll have to say that it's a bit of a dead zone when it comes to breweries. Unless you count Gordon Biersch (which is good, but I'm just not as big a fan of German styles as Belgian, British and American) there's pretty much nothing...

Still a while to wait though...wonder why they're not starting sooner?

EDIT: I guess there are some other places now...

Quote:
O'Connor Brewing in Norfolk and Beach Brewing in Virginia Beach opened in 2010, and Smartmouth Brewing Co. started last year in Norfolk
I may have to check some of these places out next time through!
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 03-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I was went to a beer dinner that Green Flash did with a local restaurant, and they mentioned the new brewery out East. Sounds like a good move.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Lots of breweries are expanding. I believe Sierra Nevada is going into NC and Stone will have an east coast and Europe brewery open in the next decade. Very exciting!

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 03-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
gstrawn
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

As an east coaster I have mixed feelings. All awesome breweries. I hope the larger west coast brewery expansions boost the craft seen and local breweries and don't compete with them. Here in Ga small breweries are popping up and I hope they're successful!!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Hey, Biochem! Next time you're headed this way PM me & I'll take you around. I can't say you'll be blown away but the beers are solid for the most part. Alewerks in Williamsburg & Hardywood Park and Midnight Brewing in Richmond are making fantastic beers.

Oh, and a buddy of mine will be opening New Carthage Brewing in Wilmington late this year. Dunno if that's close or not, but he makes really good German & English style beers.

Cheers!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstrawn View Post
As an east coaster I have mixed feelings. All awesome breweries. I hope the larger west coast brewery expansions boost the craft seen and local breweries and don't compete with them. Here in Ga small breweries are popping up and I hope they're successful!!

Yeah small breweries are exploding in Richmond. I can't keep up with all of them. I hope this does not slow down breweries growth. Let the East Coast develop it's own style of beers, whatever that is.

I do see why Green Flash is moving to Hampton Roads, a lot of the people in the area are Navy and probably were stationed at SD at some point. So they know what the brewery is like. But that said OConnors and Smartmouth are awesome breweries in their own right.

Primary: Chesterfield wild(1 gal), Schepen
Bottled: SMASH, Chesterfield Wild, Summer In Sommelsdijk, Dog Days Saison
Up coming beers:

Old 03-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
wjohnsen
Recipes 

I live in VB and am near retirement. Sounds like a good retirement job. . http://hamptonroads.com/2013/03/cali...ewery-va-beach

Old 03-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #9
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 366 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Thats incredible. The San diego location already has a seriously impressive capacity and they are doubling...

Its exciting that craft beer drinking is growing to the point that it can support this kind of expansion in production.

Its also scary, because these kind of maneuvers are going to kill the mid-sized producers. I have a feeling that the market is going to be barbelled by local small/nano and huge conglomerates like New Belgium and Sierra Nevada. As more uneducated consumers plow into craft beer drinking breweries will be forced to more frequently compete on price and with the economies of scale NB and Sierra Nevada the mid sized brewers margins will be squeezed. I think this will force a lot of breweries to either grow or die trying.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #10
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstrawn View Post
As a fellow east coaster I'm excited. More the merrier. I've visited the west coast and rocky mountain region several times, and I gotta say the beer culture out there rules. They aren't in competition like BMC. They actually help each other. Hell, most have other breweries beers on tap at their establishments. Relax....this is a good thing.

Quick Reply