Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Green Flash brewery - recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Green Flash brewery - recommendations?

Next week i will be working at a resort/conference hotel in the Pacific Beach neighborhood of San Diego.

I see that the Green Flash brewery / brew-pub will be within walking distance.

Any locals or other people who have been there have recommendations on food & beverage?

I have seen positive comments about their IPA but i am not strictly an IPA guy - i like a good american amber or porter from time to time.

And there is always the food, of course, and yelp etc don't really seem to say much.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
shaneogle89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well food wise any of their burgers are good! And far as brews go they specialize in IPA style beers. Half their beers are different styled IPA's but if you like Stouts the have a double stout black ale that is good. They also have a great barley wine! Personally my favorite is their West Coast IPA and Imperial IPA.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 24

They recently started stocking Green Flash at a local store here. I have yet to try any of the Green Flash brews that weren't great. As mentioned, the double black stout is good. Hophead Red is pretty decent, as is their basic IPA. Their Imperial IPA is one of my current favorites of that type. Simply an awesome beer! Finally, I tried Le Freak on my last trip down there and was pleasantly surprised. I am usually not a fan of Belgian-style stuff, but that one is GOOD. I have a feeling that you won't really go wrong with any of their stuff.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Barley wine is often too sweet for me. I like an IPA but recently, potentially due to medication changes, I am way more sensitive to bitterants than i recall being at any time in my life, so unless they have a burns-the-hair-off-your-feet curry i might not order an IPA.

but i might try the WCIPA anyway.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #5
ace944gs
Recipes 

Yeah! SD is great for both food and beer. Def check out stone if youve never been (but
Its a drive) but if you're only up for walking go to Neighborhood. And hamiltons if you're willing to cab. Hamiltons is by far the best beer bar I've ever been to. Ranked as one of the best too!

Enjoy!

Old 08-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #6
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Well, I won't have a vehicle unless i spring for rental on my own dime. I'll be at Catamaran fwiw, though next Friday i will be free on my own recognizance and could meet up with folks thursday night if that's possible.

Sunday morning through Thursday mid-day i will be beholden to my employer and their customers. Thursday night through Saturday morning are my gift to myself for the trouble of flying out there to work at a resort hotel on the company dime for 5 days.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #7
asidrane
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Green Flash just did a tap takeover by me last week and everything was great. The Park West Porter was magnificent.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #8
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 381 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim View Post
i am not strictly an IPA guy

You are in the IPA mecca. When I go places, I eat and drink to their strengths.

When I was there last year green flash had limited hours at their tap room, not sure if that's still the case, but be aware.

IMO, the best beer they serve is Pallate Wrecker, which is also one of my favorite new beers I have tried in the last couple years.

Do yourself a favor and rent a car and make a trip to Alpine, the best kept secret in beer. Every hoppy offering of theirs is special, their RIS and brisket are also good.

Also try and get some fresh sculpin on draft while you are in town, should be an easy thing to do.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:18 AM   #9
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim View Post
Next week i will be working at a resort/conference hotel in the Pacific Beach neighborhood of San Diego.

I see that the Green Flash brewery / brew-pub will be within walking distance.

Any locals or other people who have been there have recommendations on food & beverage?

I have seen positive comments about their IPA but i am not strictly an IPA guy - i like a good american amber or porter from time to time.

And there is always the food, of course, and yelp etc don't really seem to say much.
Um... the Green Flash restaurant in PB is NOT the same as the Green Flash Brewery, which is located in Mira Mesa.

The restaurant is right on the boardwalk, walking distance to the Catamaran. It's a nice beachy place, buy nothing special, and most certainly NOT a brewery or brew-pub. I go there regularly, trust me. Check it out for the people watching along the boardwalk, not for the beer.

A short trip up the 5 gets you to Mira Mesa and the real Green Flash Brewery, which is certainly worth a trip.

Have a good time.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:20 AM   #10
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

Quick Reply