The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Great Taste of the Midwest Pics, Program Book

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 865 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 1920

Default Great Taste of the Midwest Pics, Program Book

We went to the Great Taste of the Midwest festival in Madison last weekend - it was outstanding. I shared some photos, a brief write-up and a link to the program book on our blog at http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/The-Blog.html

If you went to the festival, feel free to share some of the memorable beers in the comments.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

I wish we had something like this nearer to me than the middle of Cleveland somewhere. I don't like being some 50 miles from home & have to drive home buzzed with that sneaky Cleveland lot.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:23 AM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Yes, we spent the night in Madison, walked between the festival and hotel.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

One of the most memorable beers for me at the festival was from a brewery I hadn't heard of before, Toppling Goliath, which is a small brewery in Iowa. They had brought a real ale/cask ale that they called a "Double Dry Hopped IPA". It is probably the freshest beer I've ever had. When the server poured the beer, maybe ten feet away from me, I could smell the hops. It was bursting with a juicy, citrusy blast of aroma. Outstanding!

Old 08-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

That sounds awesome!

Bob and I have been talking about going "sometime". This summer was far too busy, but maybe we'll try the ticket lottery next summer.

Bob and I will check out your blog for more details!

Old 08-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I understand the lottery is a long-shot, like 1 out of 10. But they seem to distribute/sell a lot of tickets through clubs. Perhaps someone who knows more about it can pipe in. I got my tickets through our club, first-come/first-served and a limit of two tickets per member. Assuming the club gets tickets next year, Nancy and I are both members, so we could each ask for two tickets - if you and Bob would like to go with us.

It was a beautiful day, just gorgeous. To get from the hotel to the festival, we walked around Lake Menona, very pretty. After the festival, there are a number of little restaurants with outdoor seating around the capital square, Hugh and I ate at an Italian place called Francesca's, sitting outside while the sun was going down, facing the capital buidling and square, it was very picturesque.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
I understand the lottery is a long-shot, like 1 out of 10. But they seem to distribute/sell a lot of tickets through clubs. Perhaps someone who knows more about it can pipe in. I got my tickets through our club, first-come/first-served and a limit of two tickets per member. Assuming the club gets tickets next year, Nancy and I are both members, so we could each ask for two tickets - if you and Bob would like to go with us.

It was a beautiful day, just gorgeous. To get from the hotel to the festival, we walked around Lake Menona, very pretty. After the festival, there are a number of little restaurants with outdoor seating around the capital square, Hugh and I ate at an Italian place called Francesca's, sitting outside while the sun was going down, facing the capital buidling and square, it was very picturesque.
We just might take you up on that, if you can get tickets! It sounds like a great time. We've been talking about a visit to Madison for a long time, as there are places we'd like to visit (Vintage Brewing) and friends there.

I will definitely put this in the "file away for May" part of my brain to remember. (It's May when the tickets are available, I believe?)

Quick Reply