Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Great Idea, Regular Idea, or Terrible Idea?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
BrewRI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Great Idea, Regular Idea, or Terrible Idea?

Walking out of my local, largely overpriced local liquor store I had the idea for a website. The site out develop a national standard for liquor prices in the US either on a national or state level (Most likely state due to different liquor laws). People could submit liquor stores in a wiki style and put what they bought and the price the bought it at. The website would then serve to give locations of liquor stores as well as the general markup price of their products (Their price compared to the standardized price). Kind of an off an unlikely idea to ever happen but what do you guys think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
BucksPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

well i can tell you that in Pennsylvania all liquor prices are the same, no matter where you go. The state owns our liquor distribution locations and regulates them. I must add that they are "fairly" priced. i wouldn't need a site like the one you ponder, not just because i live in PA, but a buck or two isnt that big of a deal to me, only because I dont buy a lot of liquor. for other people though, it may serve a great purpose.

40 Gallons brewed in 2013....and counting
33 Gallons brewed in 2012
159 Gallons brewed in 2011

My Brutus 10

Old 04-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So like gasbuddy.com but for booze!

Old 04-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Like one of those "cheapest gas prices" sites, but for booze. Interesting.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 04-22-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitocontrol View Post
So like gasbuddy.com but for booze!

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 04-22-2010, 12:18 AM   #6
BrewRI
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksPA View Post
well i can tell you that in Pennsylvania all liquor prices are the same, no matter where you go. The state owns our liquor distribution locations and regulates them. I must add that they are "fairly" priced. i wouldn't need a site like the one you ponder, not just because i live in PA, but a buck or two isnt that big of a deal to me, only because I dont buy a lot of liquor. for other people though, it may serve a great purpose.
Do they control hard alcohol and wine only or all types of liquor? I remember the state of NH owned the hard and wine selling rights but beer was available at a lot of gas stations. In RI I've had 5-6 dollar differences in packs of 30 and 20-30 difference for kegs.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

When I moved from socal to Boston I couldn't believe how much more cheap beer was. I'm use to paying 50-60 cents a can for the cheap stuff, and here there is no point it's basically the same price as sam adams. The prices across regions can vary so drastically and I think its more to do with marketing and clase than cost of distributions.

That being said here in the boston area i've seen bottles of wine at one store for $10 be $18 at another, and when SWMBO is a wino....well, you learn quick to stock up at the cheap place.

Also - the main advantage for me besides the price, could be the selection. Like if I really wanted a certain microbrew, I could know where to find it.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:50 AM   #8
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorRobert View Post
Also - the main advantage for me besides the price, could be the selection. Like if I really wanted a certain microbrew, I could know where to find it.
Yeah, but for that to work, the site would need to be dialed in to inventory systems and the like. Some special releases run out super fast, and I'd think that it would be difficult to keep that sort of thing updated. Knowing the price of regular beer at a regular store is cool, but with seasonals, specials, and the like, it would be very cumbersome.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #9
BucksPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRI View Post
Do they control hard alcohol and wine only or all types of liquor? I remember the state of NH owned the hard and wine selling rights but beer was available at a lot of gas stations. In RI I've had 5-6 dollar differences in packs of 30 and 20-30 difference for kegs.
the state owns the liquor stores for wine and liquor. the state regulates beer distribution. it's set up as beer distributors only able to sell cases and 30 packs, kegs, smokes, co2, stuff like that.

you can buy 6 packs or 12 packs at bars and/or restaraunts with liqour licenses. you wont find beer, wine, or liquor at any gas station, walmart or target.

6 packs and 12 packs sold at bars are ridicuoulsy overpriced, but the cases are normal. as i mentioned earlier, the wine and liquor are fairly priced. i just drive to jersey though, it's less than 5 miles from my house.

40 Gallons brewed in 2013....and counting
33 Gallons brewed in 2012
159 Gallons brewed in 2011

My Brutus 10

Old 04-22-2010, 01:21 AM   #10
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I dont think it'll have to be dialed in. For a couple reason, limited supplied beers would create more buzz on the site, and be more accurate than the average product.

Also - liquor stores usually order from the same brands, so if you could find a store that had your brand it's a good chance it would have the seasonal of that brand, and once you've gone that far pickup the phone and call to confirm.

Quick Reply