The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Grainy tasting beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #51
FarmerTed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 120

The mash lowers the pH; you need to measure the mash/sparge pH levels.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #52
scottyg354
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Let me ask you guys this. What are the chances of a beer being to young and cloudy causing this? I just tried my cream ale that I kegged in December after only two weeks in the fermenter. Tasted grainy and was cloudy. Now 3 months later it cleared and doesn't taste grainy at all. Any thoughts?

Perhaps I should secondary my beers and cold condition before bottling or cold condition in my kegs? Or maybe im drinking my beer way to young?

Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

On Deck: Helles, Oktoberfest, Saison, Apple Graff

Primary: IPA, Scottish Export

Secondary: Saison Brett

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:
Cream Ale, Peanut Butter Brown, Belgian Golden Strong, Brown Sugar Cider, Cream Ale, Double IPA, Saison, Summer Ale, Honey IPA, Maple Apple Graff, Holiday Stout, Hard Cider, English Brown, Scottish Heavy

Old 04-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #53
FarmerTed

Recipes 

All I can say is that in my experience, a couple weeks of cold conditioning can do a lot for a beer.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #54
scottyg354
Recipes 

Good deal. I really appreciate all the help guys.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:
Cream Ale, Peanut Butter Brown, Belgian Golden Strong, Brown Sugar Cider, Cream Ale, Double IPA, Saison, Summer Ale, Honey IPA, Maple Apple Graff, Holiday Stout, Hard Cider, English Brown, Scottish Heavy

Old 04-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #55
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg354 View Post
Let me ask you guys this. What are the chances of a beer being to young and cloudy causing this? I just tried my cream ale that I kegged in December after only two weeks in the fermenter. Tasted grainy and was cloudy. Now 3 months later it cleared and doesn't taste grainy at all. Any thoughts?

Perhaps I should secondary my beers and cold condition before bottling or cold condition in my kegs? Or maybe im drinking my beer way to young?
I suspect it is the yeast. I use about 6 different yeast on my various brews and they all have a different taste - the yeast themselves that is, not just the beer. I also keg and of course the first couple of pints when I tap a new keg are a little cloudy with yeast. This has a big impact on the flavor. I never judge a beer until it is pouring clear. Try a different yeast and see if the flavor changes (while still cloudy). If it does, then you know it is the yeast

Also sitting on the lees (a wine making term) can definitely result in some bready notes in a beer, particularly if the temperature is a bit on the warmer side. This will persist longer than after the beer clears
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 04-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #56
scottyg354
Recipes 

For those of you wondering this was the original grainy culprit. I kegged it after a week and a half since it was a low OG beer. Started drinking at two weeks and it was cloudy and grainy tasting. Sampled it probably every two weeks. After two and a half months at 40 degrees the graininess is gone. I am now thinking if I conditioned in keg at room temp and cold crashes for a week or two then carbed the grainy flavors would have never been there. I am starting too think I'm drinking my beer way too young.

image-2977784057.jpg

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:

Old 04-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #57
FarmerTed

Recipes 

I think that grainy taste probably shows up in lighter beers with low hop profiles, which you seem to be brewing. You wouldn't taste in much in a young ipa. But I know exactly what you're talking about. It's not the yeast/bready taste you get in some beers-it tastes more like grain husks. A brewery opened up in my hometown last year, and their first beer was a wit. They clearly rushed it, and I swear it had this grainy taste to it that I can only compare to the taste of an old straw broom. Maybe it's something that the yeast carries, or I guess it could be tannins from the grain, but it does go away.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #58
scottyg354
Recipes 

Yes, this is not a bitter tannic taste. I can pick the tannins out in a nice big Cabernet and the taste I am talking about doesn't fit that profile. Imagine a slight cheerio'ish flavor at the end of your beer. This beer finished out nicely now though. From now on its at least month conditions before I do anything with a beer. Then another 3 weeks carbonating. I drank half of a keg of my cream ale, thinking it was bad.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:

Quick Reply