Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Grainy tasting beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
scottyg354
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Grainy tasting beer

Hey guys, I have had an issue twice now that is starting to get annoying. I have had two beers turn out really grainy/bready tasting. They were both smaller beers cream ale/scotch ale. I don't know if i'm not using enough hops or what. Now a lot of grain get in the wort. Maybe 1/4 tsp. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions.

Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

On Deck: Helles, Oktoberfest, Saison, Apple Graff

Primary: IPA, Scottish Export

Secondary: Saison Brett

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:
Cream Ale, Peanut Butter Brown, Belgian Golden Strong, Brown Sugar Cider, Cream Ale, Double IPA, Saison, Summer Ale, Honey IPA, Maple Apple Graff, Holiday Stout, Hard Cider, English Brown, Scottish Heavy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
worksnorth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Maybe list your ingredients, including the yeast you used. May help someone spot an issue?

Old 01-29-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
scottyg354
Recipes 

Sorry.

7lbs 2 row
2 lbs flaked rice
1/2 lb honey malt
.5 oz Saaz @ 60 min
.5 oz Saaz. @ 10 min
Safale US-05

Mashed at 150 for 1 hour

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:
Cream Ale, Peanut Butter Brown, Belgian Golden Strong, Brown Sugar Cider, Cream Ale, Double IPA, Saison, Summer Ale, Honey IPA, Maple Apple Graff, Holiday Stout, Hard Cider, English Brown, Scottish Heavy

Old 01-29-2013, 01:37 AM   #4
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 43

From how to brew ed 1 (web version)

Quote:
Husky / Grainy
These flavors are akin to the astringent flavors produced from the grain husks. These flavors are more evident in all-grain beers due to poor grain crushing or sparging practices. If the grain husks are shredded during crushing by the use of a Corona grain mill for instance, these husk flavors are more likely to be extracted during the sparge. Follow the same procedures recommended to prevent astringency to correct the problem.
Quote:
Astringent
Astringency differs from bitterness by having a puckering quality, like sucking on a tea bag. It is dry, kind of powdery and is often the result of steeping grains too long or when the pH of the mash exceeds the range of 5.2 - 5.6. Oversparging the mash or using water that is too hot are common causes for exceeding the mash pH range. It can also be caused by over-hopping during either the bittering or finishing stages. Bacterial infections can also cause astringency, i.e. vinegar tones from aceto bacteria.

The brown scum that forms during fermentation and clings to the side of the fermentor is intensely bitter and if it is stirred back into the beer it will cause very astringent tastes. The scum should be removed from the beer, either by letting it cling undisturbed to the sides of an oversize fermentor, or by skimming it off the krausen, or blowing off the krausen itself from a 5 gallon carboy. I have never had any problems by simply letting it cling to the sides of the fermentor.

What temp did you dough in / sparge at?

Old 01-29-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
lakesidebier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am assuming that this is a 5 gallon batch. I dumped this in BrewSmith real quick and came up with 11.4 IBU's at 4% AA. That's just really low. My opinion; you need to bump up the hops.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:42 AM   #6
mattd2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesidebier View Post
I am assuming that this is a 5 gallon batch. I dumped this in BrewSmith real quick and came up with 11.4 IBU's at 4% AA. That's just really low. My opinion; you need to bump up the hops.
I would advise that if the problem was malty. A grainy taste makes me think process issue rather than recipe. For a cream ale/scotch ale the IBUs are not that far off.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:44 AM   #7
scottyg354
Recipes 

I don't have the recipe readily available. I was trying to remember. My ingredients might be offa bit. The beer was at 4.7 and 16 ibu's. it was a cream ale. The beer doesn't taste astringent. Mashed @ 150 strike temp was 162, I usually sparge between 168 and 170. I am thinking this is more of a balance issue. Next time I do this beer I am going to try to get it in the 20ibu area which is the max for a cream ale via bjcp guidelines.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:

Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 AM   #8
scottyg354
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2
I would advise that if the problem was malty. A grainy taste makes me think process issue rather than recipe. For a cream ale/scotch ale the IBUs are not that far off.
Maybe it is malty. I just alway place malty with sweetness. The beer is dry, just tastes bready. Not astringent like.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:

Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 AM   #9
Komocabo
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 1

9Lbs of grain and 1/2 lb of honey make an 11% beer? Did you punch 19lbs of grain? That seems way too high

And on the eighth day he said "Make beer!"

Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 AM   #10
mattd2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg354 View Post
Maybe it is malty. I just alway place malty with sweetness. The beer is dry, just tastes bready. Not astringent like.
Yeah it's a tough one when trying to explain what you taste in words
Bready would be a recipe, did you use a different base malt like MO which is apparently a bit more biscuity?
Come to think of it maybe the honey malt is giving you the flavour. I seem to recall somewhere mention that the flavour is more biscuity than actual honey

Quick Reply