Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Grain of the Month Club

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
nalidixic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Grain of the Month Club

I'm starting a grain of the month club for home brewers. The basic idea is that members of the club will receive approximately 1lb of a surprise specialty grain each month in the mail. Along with the grain will be recipe suggestions and info. The hope is to help brewers expand their horizons when it comes to what possibilities are out there.

I've put up a site already to start seeing who might be interested in joining the club. Please feel free to hop over and leave me your email address if your interested. I promise not to spam you cause I hate spam too!

http://www.grainofthemonthclub.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
SavoryChef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I think you need work on your concept. Beginner's may like it but intermediate to advanced brewers will shun it especially at around $10 per pound. Just my opinion.

My Cellar http://www.cellarhq.com/cellar/Savorychef

Untappd: Savorychef

Old 09-15-2012, 03:28 AM   #3
nalidixic
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavoryChef View Post
I think you need work on your concept. Beginner's may like it but intermediate to advanced brewers will shun it especially at around $10 per pound. Just my opinion.
It's possible the concept isn't totally there and I'm open to suggestions.

I took a look at the cost of grain, packaging and shipping and it comes close to $10 alone. I guess if you had massive volume it could be cheaper though :P

Old 09-15-2012, 03:41 AM   #4
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalidixic View Post
The basic idea is that members of the club will receive approximately 1lb of a surprise specialty grain each month in the mail.
"Since we are still working on figuring out interest levels in the club we haven't set any hard pricing yet. The club will probably cost somewhere around 10 bucks a month though. "

Holy grain gouging Batman.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
nalidixic
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
"Since we are still working on figuring out interest levels in the club we haven't set any hard pricing yet. The club will probably cost somewhere around 10 bucks a month though. "

Holy grain gouging Batman.
Not really when you take into account grain + packaging + shipping costs. It might be the downfall of the idea I do admit but it never hurts to float things out there to check interest :P

Old 09-15-2012, 04:27 AM   #6
fnord
don't see me
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I'm about to rain my pessimism on you. Sorry.

I realize the limitation due to shipping costs, but I would never pay $10 a month. I'm already one to experiment a fair amount, and I like the idea of being encouraged to get out of my comfort zone with having the grains delivered to make me feel obligated to using them.

I'd be more likely to pay $20 a month for a full medium-low gravity grain bill, with 1 or multiple possible hop schedules and some yeast recommendations (though that is still getting a bit expensive and you'll need to rely on reputation for very good recipes).

Are there any Canadian flat rate shipping equivalents that would make that possible? From quick estimations I'd say that in the states if you could fit a 9-10 lb grain bill in a medium flat rate box (I think this is possible) you would basically break even after bulk grain, repackaging, processing, and shipping prices, though those are quick estimations which mean's you would probably be best charging $25/month, maybe discount it to $275 for a multi-year sub. This also means you are ignoring the possible market of extract/partial mash brewers. If my LHBS is any indication they are the majority of brewers.

Also consider longevity/cycles. Even if you were able to get the specialty grains down to a reasonable price per pound, I'd be pissed if one month I paid $5 for a pound of crystal or roasted barley with a recipe for a basic amber or stout. I just ran though the list of grains my LHBS carries and there are about 5 or 6 individual grains that I think could be interesting for your initial idea, meaning a customer that after 1 year would not be back.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Really cool idea, the cost has to be within reason for a pound of grain (shipping and packing included) may be a great idea to get one of the big online retailers involved who can do this cheaper and get advertising out at the same time to off set the cost.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 09-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
jwwbrennan
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

With Canadian rates shipping a pound of a low cost-by-weight item will leave much of the revenue with the shipper. People with easy access to an LHBS will have a hard time justifying the shipping expense. I don't have easy access so depend on Internet and mail order. Purchasing in my neck of the woods requires planning, otherwise the costs are just too high. I usually order large amounts occasionally so the shipping is included but that aside shipping small quantities of consumable products can be treacherous territory. Have you considered more complete packages such as ingredient kits or having a customer selected schedule?

I say this as a Canadian and potential customer who depends on the Internet for anything that isn't locally produced. Canada is a small country with big country transportation problems. I should also mention that my questioning pessimism is often overwhelmed by reality.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
bighorn_brew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 22

On another note, perhaps a yeast of a month club might be in order....

Old 09-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
nalidixic
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the feed back! It NEVER hurts to float an idea out there before you spend too much time on it. So I guess the consensus is the cost is just way too high.

Would there be interest in a yeast club like bighorn_brew mentioned?

Quick Reply