Grain mill Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copenrc

Reaction score
New to this site and looks like alot of information is being passed around, my question is has any body ever built or tried to build a mill?? I am trying to build/have one built. Sorry if this has been covered before.
Thanks and :mug:

Welcome to HBT.com you should check out the DIY form. There are several people that made there own mill. let me see if i can find a lint that ran across.

Cheers

So if I was going to build one I would make one like this.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-new-milling-station-73570/
This guy is a great craftsman.

Yes that is a beautiful build but it is like $400.00. I am in NO way arguing that builds superiority as far as most DIY mills go but that is a LOT of cash to toss on this piece of equipment.

If you have a tighter budget and time read this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/using-pasta-maker-mill-grain-75784/

I bought my pasta maker but have not had the time to finish its construction. There is also the corona mill as well...

Guys I like the quick response, not trying to offend anyone but I am talking about a build from scratch(putting a knurl on the rollers and all), building the hopper and shoot would be easier the the mill itself.
Thanks guys and as always:mug:

I built my own. 2 actually. I would change a few things if I did it again, but I used scraps from work, and they didn't have very long roller stock.

It's got an aluminum frame and fairly hard rollers. I had to knurl on the large lathe and use a pretty coarse knurl. It worked ok for a bit, but now I see the grain is slipping, not being grabbed by both rollers. The drive roller turns, but the idle roller doesn't. A quick flick with the fingers gets it going again. I plan on having someone wire EDM a pair of gears to keep them both going.

I also got lucky in that they had an unused Gearmotor that I got for nothing. And they were selling a skid of stainless hoppers that hold like 6 lbs.

All in all it was a fun project, but if I had to do it again I'd probably change a couple of things. But it's not too bad for an IT guy just learning how to operate a Bridgeport.

Homercidal,
what metal did you use for your rollers, I plan on SS rollers with a knurl and also an aluminum frame. Might make the hopper out of wood unless I come across a sheet or 2 of SS or aluminum
:mug:

I am not too sure. They were just some round stock in the recycle bin. I think they guy said they were hardened, but obviously not too much.

I was thinking this weekend that I wish I had used stainless. There was a bit of rust on the rollers when I went to use it again. No worries, they were clean after the crush!

I chose aluminum for the frame because it won't rust and we had plenty of the right size. Plus it's not too hard to machine. Kind of gummy, but with some coolant it worked fine.

I sort of made my design around what I had to work with.

Do you use a design software? I could send plans for you to look at. It's nothing too interesting. I think I could do better now, but it works and it only cost me a couple of bushings and some lunch hours.

im building one right now form raw materials... a style similar to barley crusher and monster mill, if you have the equipment and time its much cheaper than buying one.. materials are costing me 50 dollars and i consider my time free right now.. since i do not have a job at the moment

I'd be curious to see your design. I didn't have a crusher to work from, just a few pics online. I'm thinking about building a larger one with SS rollers now that I have a good gearmotor and some experience.

i did post a 3d model in the diy, ill see if i can find it, i recently just made a couple design changes due to thinking and materials at hand

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/design-monster-mill-barley-crusher-213706/

i designed it to have a one turn knob for adjustment, assuming my concept works, ill let you know how it goes together. ill be machining most of the stuff either this week or next.

plus im making the rollers (1-1/2 round) out of stainless 304 due to its relative hardness and cheaper than 316 (if you understand, *not ment to insult anyone~ some peoples backgrounds might not know what this all means* hardness the 304 is about 70 Rockwell B, while 316 is 80 RB, all compared to 1018 cold rolled is 68) this give me a workable surface, while being a tad harder than 1018

ill post pix and information more for you if you would like, once i finalize my design and get it underway...

I don't have any prints or drawings, I am kinda doing the same thing as far as working from some pics that I printed. Barley Crusher was one of them.
Any pics or other in-put would be great.
Thanks and :mug:

i had to make mine with prints because im trying to make the tolerances very tight. like one or two thou. difference on things.

Back