*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > grain growing sites/ forums for beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
jrodskreet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default grain growing sites/ forums for beer

I havent found anything here other than hops growing. Any body know any good sites for growing, harvesting, storing, toasting, roasting, grains?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2735 Times on 1641 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

We have at least one, but usually more threads, on each of those topics, and also Malting grains....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #3
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts

The reason that you do not see/find this in large quantities it is a real PITA to malt the grains. Not impossible but so time consuming it just is not worth it.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
jrodskreet
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So is the malting part vital and that much of a pita? I thought you just harvested the grain and brewed

Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Zorin
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 5 Posts

Pick up a book on brewing and it will explain how the malting process works. In short you need to malt in order to obtain the required sugars to make alcohol...

Old 09-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quick answer... Malting is allowing the seed to germinate and start to grow. Once to the corrrect size the growing plant is killed. That creates the enzymes that make the sugar available for fermentation. Timing the killing part is a PITA. Time consuming, messy, and not cost effective unless you plan to brew thousands of gallons or make a lot of bread. I have prolly way oversimplified it, but you get the general idea anyway. Sorry to be a buzz kill.
Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 09-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
Quick answer... Malting is allowing the seed to germinate and start to grow. Once to the corrrect size the growing plant is killed. That creates the enzymes that make the sugar available for fermentation. Timing the killing part is a PITA. Time consuming, messy, and not cost effective unless you plan to brew thousands of gallons or make a lot of bread. I have prolly way oversimplified it, but you get the general idea anyway. Sorry to be a buzz kill.
Bob
This thread will help:http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/happ...alting-107409/

Let us know if you plan to try it!

Old 09-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
jrodskreet
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

thanks for the feed back guys. I just been watching these "prepping" shows and just thought what if I couldnt get grains. Just some daydreaming/curiosity on my part

Old 09-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2735 Times on 1641 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You have to realize one thing, if it ain't on here in large quantities, you're not going to find huge forums devoted to something specific like that elsewhere. Where the largest homebrew forum around, with like 40,000 active member, contributing here at any given time. Heck if you google a homebrewing topic, we're usually the top 5 hits. That's why so many people find us.

But you're bound to find ANYTHING on here. I know I've posted info on home toasting and roasting in threads, even last week people were discussing it on here. Many of the stuff that start here, end up in magazines like BYO, or discusses on podcasts. Many of the threads on specific topics, like zamial pointed out about the home malting thread, become "the bible" of certain topics, and get referred to on podcasts and other brewing sites.....Like I said, all those topics you asked about in the first post, HAVE been covered ON HERE.

You lust gotta do some digging.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
jrodskreet
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks revvy. I guess I'll have to dig in at work and start researching

Quick Reply