The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > GRAIN! GRAIN! all these bloody grains?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
DannyD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Polokwane, Limpopo
Posts: 420
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default GRAIN! GRAIN! all these bloody grains?

I see there is a masive amount of grain available, and its very confusing, in all the different colors and tasts but, (and im sure there is a tread on here about it) but has any body just took normal plain pale malt and turned it into "special" grains?.........succesfully!

__________________
DannyD is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
beerandloathinginaustin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Temecula, California
Posts: 545
Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Default

I think you have basic pale malt and then you have specialty grains. I'm not sure how you would magically transform it unless you were the Jesus of homebrewing.

What's the weather like in Mphumalanga this time of year btw?

__________________
www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.
beerandloathinginaustin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
DannyD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Polokwane, Limpopo
Posts: 420
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerandloathinginaustin View Post
I think you have basic pale malt and then you have specialty grains. I'm not sure how you would magically transform it unless you were the Jesus of homebrewing.

What's the weather like in Mphumalanga this time of year btw?
Cold thax!!! but that is just the point...... it all starts out barley? then they do stuff to it and it becomes other stuff (kiln, roast, wet kiln, dry kiln ect)

can that be done? with pale malt? (excluding different barley cultevers)
__________________

Last edited by DannyD; 07-21-2011 at 08:22 AM.
DannyD is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
beerandloathinginaustin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Temecula, California
Posts: 545
Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Default

As a lowly partial mash brewer I'm going to have to quote my personal hero and 44th President of these United Stiznates: "That's above my pay grade."

__________________
www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.
beerandloathinginaustin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
DannyD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Polokwane, Limpopo
Posts: 420
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

PS. beerandloathinginaustin, have a friend that was in texas 2 monthes back, he says you do things alot like we do, "Braai" (or BBQ around there)real meat (not burger?) and drink Jack and coke

__________________
DannyD is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
Vance71975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bryan, Ohio
Posts: 818
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyD View Post
I see there is a masive amount of grain available, and its very confusing, in all the different colors and tasts but, (and im sure there is a tread on here about it) but has any body just took normal plain pale malt and turned it into "special" grains?.........succesfully!
Sure have, take Pale Malt, put it in an oven on 200 for about 4 hours, POOF toasted malt!
__________________

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Vance71975 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
jlaureanti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 118
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

malting is a process.... there is 2-row and 6-row barley... these are malted (kilned) to make the other malts.... They are all a different level of malting... as well as other factors like beginning the germination process before malting...

anyways... to answer your question, you can toast store bought malts to add a different character, but you cannot turn domestic 2-row into caramel-90. A malster could, thats his job, but no offense (judging by the question) I do not think you have the skills required to perform this task.

My local homebrew shop will allow me to taste the grains before I buy them so I have an idea of the characteristics that each malt has to offer. But unless you have the ability to take grains from the field and complete the entire malting process yourself you cannot take cheap 2-row and convert them into specialty grains. Sorry.

The good news is, there is only a .60 cent difference per pound between 2-row and specialty grains... So, that is maybe an extra $5.00 max on a 5 gallon batch that you are spending.

__________________
jlaureanti is offline
beerandloathinginaustin Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
DannyD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Polokwane, Limpopo
Posts: 420
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance71975 View Post
Sure have, take Pale Malt, put it in an oven on 200 for about 4 hours, POOF toasted malt!
Jip that is a no brainer but what would it be called then?torified, toasted, choclate, dark, roasted, black,... because you can buy all there mentioned ? what prosses makes it different?
__________________
DannyD is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
beerandloathinginaustin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Temecula, California
Posts: 545
Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaureanti View Post
A malster could, thats his job, but no offense (judging by the question) I do not think you have the skills required to perform this task.

This made me spit Phoenixx Double ESB on my monitor. And I learned something. What a great thread.
__________________
www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.
beerandloathinginaustin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #10
DannyD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Polokwane, Limpopo
Posts: 420
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaureanti View Post
malting is a process.... there is 2-row and 6-row barley... these are malted (kilned) to make the other malts.... They are all a different level of malting... as well as other factors like beginning the germination process before malting...

anyways... to answer your question, you can toast store bought malts to add a different character, but you cannot turn domestic 2-row into caramel-90. A malster could, thats his job, but no offense (judging by the question) I do not think you have the skills required to perform this task.

My local homebrew shop will allow me to taste the grains before I buy them so I have an idea of the characteristics that each malt has to offer. But unless you have the ability to take grains from the field and complete the entire malting process yourself you cannot take cheap 2-row and convert them into specialty grains. Sorry.


The good news is, there is only a .60 cent difference per pound between 2-row and specialty grains... So, that is maybe an extra $5.00 max on a 5 gallon batch that you are spending.
OK?.......dont know why skill needed to be mentioned? BUT any who..... so wat you actualy want to say is that nobody has tried something different and just takes things as they are?
__________________
DannyD is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grain bag for all grain brewing? Thearcher General Beer Discussion 2 03-29-2011 03:59 AM
Spent grain preservation and grain drying stephelton General Beer Discussion 9 12-30-2009 01:46 PM
Grain bags have more grain than stated?? punk_rockin2001 General Beer Discussion 5 12-22-2009 06:20 AM
Need Help with All Grain ILOVEBEER General Beer Discussion 2 10-26-2009 10:43 PM
Ahhhh Success!!! I bloody well did it! MVKTR2 General Beer Discussion 12 02-27-2008 09:00 PM