The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > GRAIN! GRAIN! all these bloody grains?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
DannyD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default GRAIN! GRAIN! all these bloody grains?

I see there is a masive amount of grain available, and its very confusing, in all the different colors and tasts but, (and im sure there is a tread on here about it) but has any body just took normal plain pale malt and turned it into "special" grains?.........succesfully!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 378

I think you have basic pale malt and then you have specialty grains. I'm not sure how you would magically transform it unless you were the Jesus of homebrewing.

What's the weather like in Mphumalanga this time of year btw?

www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
DannyD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerandloathinginaustin View Post
I think you have basic pale malt and then you have specialty grains. I'm not sure how you would magically transform it unless you were the Jesus of homebrewing.

What's the weather like in Mphumalanga this time of year btw?
Cold thax!!! but that is just the point...... it all starts out barley? then they do stuff to it and it becomes other stuff (kiln, roast, wet kiln, dry kiln ect)

can that be done? with pale malt? (excluding different barley cultevers)

Last edited by DannyD; 07-21-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

As a lowly partial mash brewer I'm going to have to quote my personal hero and 44th President of these United Stiznates: "That's above my pay grade."

www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
DannyD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

PS. beerandloathinginaustin, have a friend that was in texas 2 monthes back, he says you do things alot like we do, "Braai" (or BBQ around there)real meat (not burger?) and drink Jack and coke

Old 07-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyD View Post
I see there is a masive amount of grain available, and its very confusing, in all the different colors and tasts but, (and im sure there is a tread on here about it) but has any body just took normal plain pale malt and turned it into "special" grains?.........succesfully!
Sure have, take Pale Malt, put it in an oven on 200 for about 4 hours, POOF toasted malt!

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
jlaureanti
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

malting is a process.... there is 2-row and 6-row barley... these are malted (kilned) to make the other malts.... They are all a different level of malting... as well as other factors like beginning the germination process before malting...

anyways... to answer your question, you can toast store bought malts to add a different character, but you cannot turn domestic 2-row into caramel-90. A malster could, thats his job, but no offense (judging by the question) I do not think you have the skills required to perform this task.

My local homebrew shop will allow me to taste the grains before I buy them so I have an idea of the characteristics that each malt has to offer. But unless you have the ability to take grains from the field and complete the entire malting process yourself you cannot take cheap 2-row and convert them into specialty grains. Sorry.

The good news is, there is only a .60 cent difference per pound between 2-row and specialty grains... So, that is maybe an extra $5.00 max on a 5 gallon batch that you are spending.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
DannyD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance71975 View Post
Sure have, take Pale Malt, put it in an oven on 200 for about 4 hours, POOF toasted malt!
Jip that is a no brainer but what would it be called then?torified, toasted, choclate, dark, roasted, black,... because you can buy all there mentioned ? what prosses makes it different?

Old 07-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaureanti View Post
A malster could, thats his job, but no offense (judging by the question) I do not think you have the skills required to perform this task.

This made me spit Phoenixx Double ESB on my monitor. And I learned something. What a great thread.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #10
DannyD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaureanti View Post
malting is a process.... there is 2-row and 6-row barley... these are malted (kilned) to make the other malts.... They are all a different level of malting... as well as other factors like beginning the germination process before malting...

anyways... to answer your question, you can toast store bought malts to add a different character, but you cannot turn domestic 2-row into caramel-90. A malster could, thats his job, but no offense (judging by the question) I do not think you have the skills required to perform this task.

My local homebrew shop will allow me to taste the grains before I buy them so I have an idea of the characteristics that each malt has to offer. But unless you have the ability to take grains from the field and complete the entire malting process yourself you cannot take cheap 2-row and convert them into specialty grains. Sorry.

The good news is, there is only a .60 cent difference per pound between 2-row and specialty grains... So, that is maybe an extra $5.00 max on a 5 gallon batch that you are spending.
OK?.......dont know why skill needed to be mentioned? BUT any who..... so wat you actualy want to say is that nobody has tried something different and just takes things as they are?

Quick Reply