Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Grain to Glass in a Week?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
jgardner6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Grain to Glass in a Week?

Has anyone ever tried this with a low gravity beer? Perhaps a mild or something? I heard of this on Basic Brewing Radio and was wondering how it tasted after a week. I'm going on R&R in January from Iraq for two weeks and was wondering if it would be worth it or not. I don't want to spend the money on the grains if it wouldn't be worth drinking in a week. Oh, and I would be force carbing in a keg if you where wondering.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f38/proj...th-10-a-77758/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/drink-more-mild-77598/

Have fun...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I've done 10 days with a mild and with BM's Centennial Blond many times. 7 days in primary, 1 day chilling in kegerator, and 2 days at 30psi. If you make a starter, you could probably cut 1 day off the fermentation time. Then, if you carb with the shake method, you could cut off another 1-2 days. So, yes, I think you can be serving a low gravity beer in 7 days. It may be a bit green and will have some CO2 bite at first but I'd go for it!

Enjoy your time off man. Thanks for your service!!

Old 06-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2432 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

I did the Centennial Blonde in about 2 weeks, although it seemed like years while waiting...

Homer's Brew Log

Old 09-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
floydk
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Old post, I know, but I just made a kolsch, 5 days fermentation was done with a starter, 1 day in the fridge at 35, racked to keg, and forced carbed, and drinking in 7 days time. It's actually better than I expected, in fact, it tastes a lot like the kolsch I get from one of my local brew pubs. So yeah, I think it's possible, and I'm enjoying some now! Cheers!

Old 09-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #6
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I did a 10 day ipa once, came out real well. Pitched the wort on a cake of notty and it chewed it up in 5 days, then dry hopped it for 3 days, then in the keg to carb.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #7
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
I did a 10 day ipa once, came out real well. Pitched the wort on a cake of notty and it chewed it up in 5 days, then dry hopped it for 3 days, then in the keg to carb.
Next time keg hop and you could shave 3 days off

Old 09-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgardner6 View Post
Has anyone ever tried this with a low gravity beer? Perhaps a mild or something? I heard of this on Basic Brewing Radio and was wondering how it tasted after a week. I'm going on R&R in January from Iraq for two weeks and was wondering if it would be worth it or not. I don't want to spend the money on the grains if it wouldn't be worth drinking in a week. Oh, and I would be force carbing in a keg if you where wondering.
I'm guessing you'd have maybe 2 or 4 days to drink your beer IF you brewed the first day you are back (that's hardcore) and you might have 'green' tastes, etc. I don't know... seems like bad odds in your favor.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

If I feel like rushing, my ordinary bitter is typically done fermenting in 48 hours including lag time (usually 12 hrs), so I let it clean up for a couple days and I can keg it and force carb it to about 2.1-2.2 volumes, where it's tastiest. I've brewed that beer on Monday and drank it Saturday afternoon and had it come out as tasty as ever.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

dzlater Likes This 
Old 09-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Where is home? If you are deployed from Ft Bliss I can have a 12 pack of properly aged Home brew waiting for you the day you arrive. Tell me what you like and Ill brew it this weekend.

Quick Reply