Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Gotta Girlie Beer Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #101
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
For the record, the lazy "men are stupid and women are annoying" marketing annoys the living crap out of me too.

But it's "hey look over here!" rhetoric to mention that in reference to this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah58 View Post
I found you some "girly" beer!

http://chickbeer.com/
Thanks for the link for some "girlie" beer. I wonder if this beer is insulting to some and do they plan to picket outside the brewery?

For the record I did not insult Yooper, yes she found it insulting but I did not go out hunting to do it. There is a difference. Today's society has changed

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #102
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Hey, none of us were the ones who pissed on the floor, we just pointed out how bad it stank.
[sarcasm]OMG that is SO OFFENSIVE. JUST because we pee standing up!!! You are such a sexist feminazi pig who thinks women are better than men! How does this get a pass?!?!??![/sarcasm]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Is the term "girlie car" (eg., VW Beetle) insulting and hurtful? Even though 56% of Beetle buyers are women, compared to making up just 36% of all new vehicle registrations?

Is the term "girlie show" insulting and hurtful? Would you seriously try to convince me that just as many men watch Sex and the City or Vampire Diaries as women?

Have we really reached a point where any kind of gender stereotyping at all - no matter how true - is deemed "offensive?"
I want to know if all the offended women who appreciate a good movie are offended by the term 'chick-flick'. I'm sure there are some women who don't like them, but does that make it an offensive title?

P.S. At home, I pee sitting down so as not to make a mess. You guys should try it.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #103
downtown3641
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post

OK, but what if Person 1 did mean it like that? What if that's just how they feel/believe/think? Why should they have to change their behaviour just because someone else doesn't like it? Isn't it a free country? Doesn't that mean you're free to be an idiot?

Maybe Person 1 and Person 2 just shouldn't be friends? Isn't that OK? We don't all have to believe the same thing - that's what makes this society such a great melting pot, isn't it?
People are free to make idiotic sexist comments. Others are also free to call people who make those comments sexist. We, as a society, change perceptions and behaviors by ostracizing people who make racist, sexist, or whatever remarks.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #104
jkendal
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Its a free country, absolutely, but its generally frowned upon to insult people without provocation.
Unless you are old and cantankerous.....

We've got provisions and lots of beer
The key word is survival on the new frontier
~ Donald Fagen

Old 12-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #105
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkendal View Post
Unless you are old and cantankerous.....
raises hand.....

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

NochEineMassBitte Likes This 
Old 12-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #106
WesleyBrewViking
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I personally don't like how far things have gone with being "politically correct" these days, and I think it would be naive to say that there aren't any observable patterns among genders, ethnic groups, etc... I think the key is that when something outside of any given demographic is claimed to be exclusive to that group, people are going to be offended, and (IMO) rightly so.

A lot of my friends have described me as "manly" because I'm tall, sturdy, I've had a beard since I was fifteen and I look like a Viking. I personally don't like that because it implies that a guy who is 5' tall, thin and has sparse facial hair is somehow less of a man. My wife is small and I think most straight men would agree, quite attractive. She also likes fishing, driving big trucks, and could kick most dudes' a$$es if she needed to. Just because fishing, trucks and a$$-kicking are generally associated with men, I don't think this makes my wife any less feminine (or more masculine). I like survival camping, martial arts, pogonotrophy, and power tools. I also like crocheting, think that there are more pros than cons for sitting while you pee, and have longer hair than most women I know. BFD.

Maybe it's more common here in Canada, but I know buttloads of women who really like beer, and not just BMCs or fruity beers. I also know women who operate chainsaws and fly helicopters. And men who don't like hockey or beer.

I called a guy from Québéc a Québécois one time and he got offended because, as he explained, Québécois are separatist. He corrected me and said he's French-Canadian and that he loves this country. I could have gotten my knickers in a knot and told him to calm down and stop overreacting and that it's not such a big deal, but instead I took it as a learning experience and made a friend instead of an enemy.

If I understand things correctly, HBT is about learning and sharing ideas as a community through friendly, open dialogue. Sorry, to drag this thread to the top of the heap, but this is an issue that is quite important to me, and I couldn't resist. The only way to make progress is to talk about it. Those are my two pennies.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #107
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 668 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 395

My wife is a huge fan of the Kolsch recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. I named it "the Pantydropper".

Old 12-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #108
WesleyBrewViking
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 24

And now, to answer the OP. In my experience, people who aren't beer drinkers would be put off by beers where you use a pound of hops or ones with very strong, distinct flavours like Belgian Tripels, for example. If they like wine, fruity beers can be a nice transition, or if they like whiskey, rum, khalua, etc, you might try something with chocolate, toffee, honey or nut flavours. Skål!

Old 12-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #109
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyGatzke View Post
And now, to answer the OP. In my experience, people who aren't beer drinkers would be put off by beers where you use a pound of hops or ones with very strong, distinct flavours like Belgian Tripels, for example. If they like wine, fruity beers can be a nice transition, or if they like whiskey, rum, khalua, etc, you might try something with chocolate, toffee, honey or nut flavours. Skål!
Great way to break it down

Old 12-19-2012, 12:53 AM   #110
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyGatzke View Post
If I understand things correctly, HBT is about learning and sharing ideas as a community through friendly, open dialogue. Sorry, to drag this thread to the top of the heap, but this is an issue that is quite important to me, and I couldn't resist. The only way to make progress is to talk about it. Those are my two pennies.
I swore I would have nothing to do with this thread, or the OP ever again- but I felt that I had to respond to this.

That was my point. I am no expert, but I can probably brew a fair bit better beer than many that people who want to make "girlie beers" can. I've been at it a lot longer.

I have homebrewing experience, brewery training, BJCP experience, knowledge of ingredients, experience in a brewery, experience with culturing yeast, recipe formulating experience, a tiny group of friends in the brewing world (both homebrewing and commercial), own a system that's been featured in BYO, etc.

I have friends who are brewmasters in commercial brewpubs, friends who own breweries, friends who are homebrewing gurus, and one friend who owns the only self-distributed nano-brewery in Wisconsin.

My gender has NOTHING to do with my ability, my taste buds, my friendships, my contacts, and my ability to outbrew many other brewers (or inability, depending on how you like my beers! ) But I could be a man or a woman, and that's the great part of this forum.

The funny thing? I've been treated like a "little lady" in homebrew stores, but NEVER by brewmasters and owners of breweries. Jim Koch looked at me in the eye, and talked to me as an equal. Ok, sure, he had to bend down about 8 inches! But my feeling is this- why can Charlie Papazian, John Palmer, Jamil Zainasheff, Ray Daniels, Gordon Strong, Denny Conn, Jim Koch, Jim Maier, and so many others- Mufasa (BJ's), the owner of Black Husky Brewing, my friend Chumly (http://www.thevierling.com/brewery.html), etc,- talk to me like I'm a brewer and treat me with respect, but some person who thinks females like "girly beer"- why does that irritate me?

I guess it's because it's the stereotype that perpetuates.

It was a huge insult to be have certain beers, whatever they are, called "girlie beers". As if women are only capable of liking fruity sweet things, with no palate to discern good beers.

To be insulted, to be denigrated, and then to be told "BFD" to my complaints about stating my feelings is more than a slap in the face. It's an insult to all females of this forum (and there are far more than you'd imagine).

If people, male or female, don't like beer- well, they don't. But there are MANY men who prefer what I would call "girlie beer" over other beer styles. I'm not slamming them, or other men. That's the thing.

Quick Reply