Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Got the runs from my homebrew...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #21
sparkyaber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I also have the emergency run to the bathroom in the morning, or even sometimes later in the evening if I start drinking early enough. Collateral damage. I have a pretty wussy stomach, if I eat after 7 pm, poultry, Alfredo sauce, homebrews, all sort of things give me the hurgalie gurgalies. What I have found that helps immensely is to take an Imodium A-D or the generic form of it. I have done some research on it and it really has not long term health effects. (I go through about a bottle every few weeks). Anyone else know if this is a good idea?
Take two before drinking and should be all good.

Carboy#1 Angry Gnome RIS 2012
Carboy#2 Angry Gnome RIS 2012
Carboy#3 Black IPA
Carboy#4 Black IPA
Carboys#5-14 m-t
3 Gallon m-t
Keg#1 Hops in Session
Keg#2 Yoopper's IPA
Kegs #3-12 m-t
Bottled: Holiday Ale, RIS 2011, Chocolate Espresso Porter, Vanilla Porter, Oktoberfest, Mai Bock, Old Vine Zin, Pinot Noir, Chocolate Raspberry Port,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #22
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Homebrew used to wreak havoc on my digestive system as well, to the point where I almost gave up on it shortly after I started brewing. But once I got used to it, I haven't had any problems whatsoever (except with beers that use a lot of roasted grains, but I don't like those anyway).

Since you have a kegging setup, you could filter your beer - that gets rid of the yeast, eliminating one of the two major candidates for the source of their discomfort (the other one being an abundance in dextrins, which are hard for some people to digest).

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 03-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #24
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

In today's world of preprocessed and packaged foods. Few people have any tolerance for natural products. It isn't your homebrew, it is any beer or food product that isn't sterilized for preparation in a microwave. If you friends would have sat down with you for a night of drinking microbrews it would have been the same effect.

Also, ingesting a large volume of yeast will make you smell worse than normal. I drink unfiltered beer enough now that it is just normal and I think my body (or my brain) have adapted to it. Most people will seriously punish their toilet the morning after drinking unfiltered beer.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #25
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6024 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
Brewers yeast will cause an excess of gas and ****ing etc if your body is not used to it. I don't think anyone here can dispute that.
I'll dispute it.

Why do beans give you gas? not from yeast, but from complex sugars -- oligosaccharides to be exact.

In big complex beers, or under fermented beers, there's quite a bit of oligosaccharides that the yeasties haven't gotten to, or can't get to. When the commercial beers filter their beer, they also trap out these long complex sugars. In homebrew, you consume the long complex sugars and once they get into your intestines, the beasties in your intestines feast on these complex sugars and then bring on the tuba!

Old 03-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #26
bradjoiner
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i dont know why any one would be so upset by the runs, but you know what? if anyones homebrew made me constipated i would be f***ing pissed

Old 03-20-2009, 07:41 PM   #27
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'll dispute it.

Why do beans give you gas? not from yeast, but from complex sugars -- oligosaccharides to be exact.

In big complex beers, or under fermented beers, there's quite a bit of oligosaccharides that the yeasties haven't gotten to, or can't get to. When the commercial beers filter their beer, they also trap out these long complex sugars. In homebrew, you consume the long complex sugars and once they get into your intestines, the beasties in your intestines feast on these complex sugars and then bring on the tuba!
Then explain filtered beer that is refermented in the bottle as a way of carbonating causing the same problem. I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying a lot of yeast will also cause this.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #28
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'll dispute it.

I agree. Thats the exact reason why beans make you fart too. Take some beano before drinking homebrewed beer. I'm sure the yeast contribute too. Its probably what they get broken down into that is more of a cause.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #29
OLB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've gotten a slight case of the bubble guts from homebrew before, but no mudd butt yet.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:05 AM   #30
Christian
Recipes 

This thread is cracking me up

On the topic though i have to say that when i first started homebrewing i would get stomach bubbles and farts all the time after a night of HEAVY drinking but never anything else and i have one of the most sensitive stomachs of anyone i have ever met in my life. My bet is it is not the beer but more likely linked to something they ate and the amount they consumed.

I believe Homer Simpson said it best "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"

CMAC'S Brewery

Quick Reply