Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Got my water test results from the city today

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
Shwagger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Got my water test results from the city today

I got the annual water quality report for my city, and here it is. It's not the greatest scan, but click on it and it will zoom:

Imageshack - water0001.jpg

What does all this mean? I need some education so I can understand it. (ironically, I am a marine geologist major graduating in a year, gah!)

Shwagger Brewery
Gulfport, Fl

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
jpowers1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Man, I don't know. It seems like specific answers to a general question. It looks like nothing is a dangerous concentration. But, if there is fertilizer contamination, I think a filter might be a good idea. You can add the Radium and Uranium to your ingredient list

Old 06-11-2009, 01:40 AM   #3
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It looks like a typical water quality report that lists potential contaminant values with some other compositional elements but not all the points you need to really assess you water for AG is that's what you're looking for.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

That is the same report that my city has. They had no clue what I was talking about with aethetics or secondary charecteristics of the water.

Has anyone found the magic words to get something better from small rural water departments?!@?!?

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 06-11-2009, 07:00 AM   #5
taylornate
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
That is the same report that my city has. They had no clue what I was talking about with aethetics or secondary charecteristics of the water.

Has anyone found the magic words to get something better from small rural water departments?!@?!?
Ask specific questions. If you want to know turbidity, ask what the turbidity is.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I am really more interested in the basic characteristics that effect my brew, such as calcium, potassium and maganeseum. I repeatedly asked for this information from various people, finally talking with the head of the water plant, who was able to give me CaC03 (which I think is hardness on the calcium side), pH, alkalinity, and sodium (which is rated in parts per billion).

The idea that there is a report with this information collected in one place was completely foreign to them.

I am not sure that asking them about turbidity will get me (or anyone else dealing with this) any closer to clear answers. I was hoping for someone who had some experience getting the specifics that effect brewing water.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I think all the good stuff was hacked off. I can't see the pH, hardness, alkalinity, or chlorine.

Read How to Brew - How to Read a Water Report

Old 06-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
taylornate
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
I am really more interested in the basic characteristics that effect my brew, such as calcium, potassium and maganeseum. I repeatedly asked for this information from various people, finally talking with the head of the water plant, who was able to give me CaC03 (which I think is hardness on the calcium side), pH, alkalinity, and sodium (which is rated in parts per billion).

The idea that there is a report with this information collected in one place was completely foreign to them.

I am not sure that asking them about turbidity will get me (or anyone else dealing with this) any closer to clear answers. I was hoping for someone who had some experience getting the specifics that effect brewing water.
My point wasn't about turbidity. My point was if you want to know pH, ask for pH. I guess you did that.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerkrump View Post
I think all the good stuff was hacked off. I can't see the pH, hardness, alkalinity, or chlorine.
Yep, all the good stuff was hacked off You could always just ask Ward Labs

Old 06-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Yeah, I was trying to avoid the Ward Labs option as I am cheap.

And yes, I have read how to brew. It just seems that reports are standardized in a different way elsewhere in the country.

Nealf, did you go the Ward lab route, or did you get the info from the city?

That may help me in figuring out what I need to request. I got sick of being looked at like I had a third head... or was worried about growing a third head. City Hall was just freaked out that I was saying the water was bad. It took me 3 people to explain that I LOVE the water and drink it regularly and have no problems with the water etc.

Quick Reply