Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Got my first contest scores back

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
amfukuda
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Got my first contest scores back

I sent two beers in a bock and a pilsner. My pilsner did ok I think with a 27 but they tore my bock apart. And now I kinda feel like a parent who put an ugly kid in a beauty contest. I knew they where going to judge them but dang

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
NewWestBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Hey,

Congrats on entering a competition. Take the comments and learn from them. Don't be so concerned with scores. There are a lot of threads on here about how some beers are scored differently by judges, like one gives it a 35 and another a 27. Just try to take what they say and improve. However, if you really like your beer then don't really worry about it.

All the best

Fermenter #1: Alesmith IPA clone
Fermenter #2: Air
Fermenter #3: Air
Bottled:Black IPA, 3 Floyds Alpha King Clone
Up Next: Who knows

Old 09-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
amfukuda
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ya I'm taking it with a grain of salt and didn't expect to win or anything but I definitely didn't think my beer was " lifeless"

Old 09-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 527 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 162

It happens. There's a lot of subjectivity to BJCP judging so don't take it too hard. It's better if you submit your beers to multiple events and heed the comments and advice of the most experienced (highest ranked) judges.

I once entered a beer in a local competition that got raked over the coals for being "out of style on many levels." It was a Belgian Dubbel made with smoked cranberry and some mulling spices thrown in. It brought a 22 and a 25 score respectively. I agree, it isn't exactly to style under the BJCP definition, but I entered that same beer into the Best Florida Beer Championships and it scored a 42 and a 44 from more experienced judges and made it to the mini-BOS round. The latter judges gave it high praise for flavor and originality and generally loved it.

Ultimately, if you really want to win competitions, you have to nail each style perfectly right down the middle of each BJCP definition for that particular style of beer. Do NOT deviate from the style or try to be creative and introduce anything new. If you do, you'll be called out on it and your beer will lose points. More experienced judges will give you some wiggle room, but it's the novice to semi-experienced judges that carry around the BJCP definitions in their pockets and make sure everything conforms to style right down the middle.

Save anything unique, experimental or creative for style 23: Specialty Beer.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
amfukuda
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ya it seemed like they contradicted each other one guy said I had no head the other guy said it was perfect

Old 09-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfukuda View Post
Ya it seemed like they contradicted each other one guy said I had no head the other guy said it was perfect
Sorry to hear. I look forward to that on weekends.

I like beer

Old 09-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2065 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 4132

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
It happens. There's a lot of subjectivity to BJCP judging so don't take it too hard. It's better if you submit your beers to multiple events and heed the comments and advice of the most experienced (highest ranked) judges.

I once entered a beer in a local competition that got raked over the coals for being "out of style on many levels." It was a Belgian Dubbel made with smoked cranberry and some mulling spices thrown in. It brought a 22 and a 25 score respectively. I agree, it isn't exactly to style under the BJCP definition, but I entered that same beer into the Best Florida Beer Championships and it scored a 42 and a 44 from more experienced judges and made it to the mini-BOS round. The latter judges gave it high praise for flavor and originality and generally loved it.

Ultimately, if you really want to win competitions, you have to nail each style perfectly right down the middle of each BJCP definition for that particular style of beer. Do NOT deviate from the style or try to be creative and introduce anything new. If you do, you'll be called out on it and your beer will lose points. More experienced judges will give you some wiggle room, but it's the novice to semi-experienced judges that carry around the BJCP definitions in their pockets and make sure everything conforms to style right down the middle.

Save anything unique, experimental or creative for style 23: Specialty Beer.
exact reason why I don't like comps.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 09-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I don't want to put you on the spot, but could you at least post the sheet so we could read it?

Old 09-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
amfukuda
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It's kinda hard to read but these are my sheets
Please don't make me cry

image-3962660305.jpg   image-2569616113.jpg   image-3074740814.jpg   image-581783855.jpg  

Old 09-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Both comments gave indications of possible chlorination in the water. The first one mentioned plastic, the second mentioned phenolic and medicinal, and even mentioned chlorine in the water. How do you treat your water? If you use a carbon filter is it possible that it's time to get a new one? These sheets might be a hard pill to swallow, but both had some similar comments.

Quick Reply