Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Got My First Beer Scoresheets (and they're good)!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
Randy_Bugger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Not trying to be mean, but it sounds like the judges were pretty generous with the scores.

Bandaid, phenols, overcarbonated, under attenuated and needing more hop character does not qualify as a very good/excellent IPA.

The "pro brewer" with sensory training thought you might have been using Belgian yeast which would have been inappropriate for the category anyway. The yeast you used is supposed to ferment clean.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #12
Shred
Non-Recovering Alcoholic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Mouse View Post
I skipped the BIAB (did a Mini-Mash/Partial Mash). I looked into the 5 gallon (both kits and prebuilt) decided I wanted to try another Patial Mash and built a 5 gallon Igloo tun. It was a lot easier to build and a huge savings over the prebuilt 5 gallon ones. After that I just watched for sales and bought a 13 gallon rectangular cooler to convert. I've done beers upto 1.092 OG for 7.5 gallons preboil wort and am glad that I didn't just step up to a 10 gallon (although I wish I could have gotten a good price on an 18 gallon). There are lots of threads on making them yourself, which I, personally, feel even more satisfaction from then just buying a prebuilt one. Just depends on what you want to spend your money on.
I haven't looked at rectangular conversions before... that might be a thought. Did you rig some sort of false bottom?

I've gotta up my kettle too. I'm currently using a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer setup. It works, but I don't like all the top off I need to add.

- Shred

Check out my blog!
www.ShredsHomebrews.com

On Tap: Shred's CTZ Imperial IPA, Smoked Porter, Bourbon Barrel Breakfast Stout, 7 Cs IPA

Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Shred's Dark Mild
Primary 5: Shred's Australian Summer Wheat
Secondary 1: Nirvana on Cedar (a Utopias inspired brew)
Secondary 2: Nirvana on Oak (a Utopias inspired brew)

Old 08-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
Shred
Non-Recovering Alcoholic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Bugger View Post
Not trying to be mean, but it sounds like the judges were pretty generous with the scores.

Bandaid, phenols, overcarbonated, under attenuated and needing more hop character does not qualify as a very good/excellent IPA.

The "pro brewer" with sensory training thought you might have been using Belgian yeast which would have been inappropriate for the category anyway. The yeast you used is supposed to ferment clean.
I guess I'm glad you didn't judge it, then (and this isn't advice... it's pointless pissing on my parade).

- Shred

Check out my blog!
www.ShredsHomebrews.com

On Tap: Shred's CTZ Imperial IPA, Smoked Porter, Bourbon Barrel Breakfast Stout, 7 Cs IPA

Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Shred's Dark Mild
Primary 5: Shred's Australian Summer Wheat
Secondary 1: Nirvana on Cedar (a Utopias inspired brew)
Secondary 2: Nirvana on Oak (a Utopias inspired brew)

Old 08-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #14
Randy_Bugger
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred View Post
I guess I'm glad you didn't judge it, then (and this isn't advice... it's pointless pissing on my parade).
Several valid points were made. Apparently, you missed them because I didn't tell you what you wanted to hear.

I could give you solid advice on how to fix your brewing flaws, but since you cried about my honest feedback based on your input, someone else will have to.

I gave you constructive criticism. What you choose to do with it is entirely up to you.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
CA_Mouse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred View Post
I haven't looked at rectangular conversions before... that might be a thought. Did you rig some sort of false bottom?

I've gotta up my kettle too. I'm currently using a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer setup. It works, but I don't like all the top off I need to add.
I used the stainless steel braid for both of the ones I made. Try giving this thread a read, this is where I got my ideas from. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...version-23008/

I started with a 5 gallon for extracts and moved to the turkey fryer 7.5 that I got with my King Kooker burner. I got a great deal on an 11 gallon kettle, so I only did a few batches on the smaller kettle. Get some foam control and you can boil nearly 7 gallons in that turkey fryer.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Apple Pie Cider
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Amarillo Pale Ale
Keg #2: Belgian Golden Rye
Keg #3: Amarillo IPA
Keg #4: Chocolate Vanilla Imperial Porter
Keg #5: Imperial Pumpkin
Keg #6: Imperial Pumpkin Collaboration
Bottled: Pom-Cran Sour '12