The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Gordon Strong's New Book

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
jfowler1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Gordon Strong's New Book

I havn't seen a discussion about this yet, and since I just purchased it myself, I feel safe posting.

Gordon Strong, who was awarded the Ninkasi at the last three NHC's, just released his book. In addition to his unreal success at the NHC, he is also a Level V Grand Master BJCP judge - so I guess the guy's got some credentials to back up whatever is in his book.

$12 shipped (with Amazon Prime)

http://www.amazon.com/Brewing-Better...3836122&sr=8-1

I will be receiving my copy Thursday, and look forward to digging into it. I read in an interview with Strong, and excuse me if I am misquoting, that he was approached to write a book focusing on advanced brewing (with a concentration on all-grain). If that turns out to be the case, I think we are in for a treat.

I have felt there was a hole in the homebrew book market. I own a lot of books, and have some thoughts. Charlie's CJOHB gets your mind in the right place and reminds you why you brew, Palmer's HTB is a great tuturial and reference for beginner to advanced, Daniel's DGB is an incredible database from which to formulate recipes, JZ/ Palmer's BCS extracts from DGB and removes the guesswork by building proven recipes for you, Mosher's RB offers an off-centered (sorry DFH) approach to creative brewing, the JZ/ White's Yeast tells you more than you ever wanted to know about fermentation and yeast management. But I think there was a need for a book dedicated to (appropriately) brewing better beer.

Personally, I am at a point where I understand the process, so I saw the need for a book that ignores the entry level instructions and dedicates some valuable page space to (again) brewing better beer.

Has anyone already bought/read it, and if so, do you care to offer any reviews? I'll follow up after the weekend and let you know my own thoughts.

Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Benthic
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I am very much looking forward to reading it...just as soon as I can get my hands on a copy. I see that Amazon now has it in stock.

I have all the books you mentioned and (for the most part) I agree with your assessment of each of them. In my opinion, CJOHB is teetering on the edge of being irrelevant and these days I recommend that new brewers start with Palmer's book. But that could be because that's how I started.

In any event, I have a copy of White & Zainasheff's Yeast on the way. And I'm really looking forward to Gordon's book as well.

Brian

Old 04-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
Breck09
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Reading Yeast as we speak. Only through chapter two so far and I have already learned so much. May not be information that I had to know but I'm glad I know it. May pick up this book as well as I would like to get a nice library of brewing books in my house.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
adfirmus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
. In my opinion, CJOHB is teetering on the edge of being irrelevant and these days I recommend that new brewers start with Palmer's book. But that could be because that's how I started.
I haven't dove into all-grain yet and I am still refining my extract/mini-mash techniques, I have to agree. I thuroughly read CJOHB front to back before actually brewing, and I have to say, I was still a little confused on what was important and not so important to make good beer. I think palmers book is more straight forward and informative.

I am thinking about picking up Yeast and Strongs book soon though...

In the mail: AHS Sierra Nevada Wheat clone
Fermenting: None yet!
Bottled and conditioning: MW Belgian Wit, BM's Extract Centennial Blonde, Haus Pale Ale

Old 04-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I'm about halfway through the Strong book. So far I can say it's pretty good. The foreward was entertaining. I like his upfront no pu$$yfooting around writing style and his philosophies relating to how he views homebrewing.

Although I still have a lot to read, I'd say so far it was worth the 12 and change.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 04-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
DubBrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I got it through the aha pre sale and have had it for about a week. It is straight forward and ready to read. I've already used his thoughts on water in my last brew and am looking forward to getting through the whole book. He makes no bones about some of the things he has strong opinions in which is a little entertaining. It is a definate but.

Next Up: Trippel

http://twitter.com/Tom_Ayers
Untappd: DubBrew
BJCP Certified

Old 04-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Really enjoying the book so far, and will try to change some of my processes.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 04-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1899 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

I've had it for a few days and so far I really like it. He explains his stance on homebrewing in general and what is going to be in the book and then goes for it. I have not finished it, due to having tons of stuff to do, but I think it's a great read and should be very helpful to a lot of people who are knowledgeable about AG brewing, or even someone who has read up on it, and knows they want to do it.

I won't do a complete review since I haven't read it through yet, but I would like to note that Gordon Strong feels that there is no reason to stick with extract past a few batches and explains why. The book is geared only for AG brewing and expects that you know something about it, or have at least brewed a couple of batches.

I got it on presale through AHA for less than $15 and it's been worth every penny so far, if for nothing more than for the insight Strong gives into his own (successful) brewing endeavours.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
ChemEMc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I seem to be in the boat with most here. Got Strong's book on presale, read a bit, like it so far, but haven't read enough to really review it. I also have all the other books (except CJOHB) the OP mentions, so I'll let ya know in a bit.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
stanley1271
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just ordered my copy of it on Amazon. I am still reading DGB by Daniels. Finished the Yeast book a couple of weeks ago and I highly recommend it to everyone brewing, also Palmers HTB is a great book as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujieagle View Post
I'm telling ya, she's nuttier than a squirrel turd.
Kegged:
  • AHS Anniversary Hefeweizen
  • American Devil IPA

Quick Reply