Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Gordon Biersch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
LowNotes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Gordon Biersch

There has been construction going on in the first floor of the building I work in for the past couple months. Yesterday when I walked by I saw about a dozen giant (8-10' tall, 4-6' diameter) SS conical fermenters...it was glorious.

It is going to be a "Gordon Biersch" brew pub. Anyone ever tried the beer at one of these? I found out it is a chain with at least 2-3 other restaurants in the DC metro area. I'm trying to figure out how excited I should be

I think it is going to open around April, and it is within walking distance of Nationals Stadium, so there could definitely be some pre-game drinking going on here in the near future.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Quadrupled
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 120

That's awesome that it's so close to your office - it'd be hard for me to stay away for lunch. I really like their beers and food. They offer a beer sampler so you can try all of them in one sitting.

My favorites are their Hefeweizen, Marzen and Czech Pilsner.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
zmanzorro
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I think they're originally out of California and we have a few here in the Dallas area. I can't say I've been there too many times, but the times I have, both their beer and food were pretty good. I would say it's very similar in concept and quality as BJ's, if you're familiar with them. They bottle their beer too.

“Beer is the center of everything. Everything revolves around beer. When you drink beer, everything revolves. Therefore beer is the center of everything.” — University of Waterloo Engineers

Primary/Secondary: N/A
Bottle: Belgian Battering Ram (Tripel), Assassyn (IIPA), I Am GRoot Beer

Old 02-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
LowNotes
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrupled View Post
That's awesome that it's so close to your office - it'd be hard for me to stay away for lunch. I really like their beers and food. They offer a beer sampler so you can try all of them in one sitting.

My favorites are their Hefeweizen, Marzen and Czech Pilsner.
Sweet! I love a beer sampler

I checked out their website just now, and was surprised they seem to lean more towards lighter beer styles, as opposed to the pale ales and IPAs that most places use as their flagship brews. Personally I love good IPA, but if they do light beers well maybe it will be just what I need to broaden my own brewing tendencies.

I do love Hefeweizens too, so I am pretty excited now

Old 02-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

GB brews the JosephsBrau line at Trader Joe's. The "Plznr" is a screaming deal and tastes just like Urquell. The other styles are not as exciting.

I went to the former Embarcadero location in SF once after a Giants game. Not really my kind of place, but it was okay. I think BJ's is actually better and has more interesting beers (and I love German styles).

Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
bink00
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

I like GB...but my favorite chain is Rock Bottom...especially when they crack open their casks. If I lived where you did I would be hitting up mad fox brewing in falls church. I love that place! GB does have really dang good food though.

I would take any kind of brew pub within walking distance of my office though! Im jealous!

Old 02-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Gordon Biersch brews (almost) exclusively lagers. I think there's typically a hef and a specialty ale on tap too. They make some excellent beers. Food leans to standard american pub fare- Zman has it right, it's a similar idea to BJ's, but with german style lagers rather than american style ales. I prefer GB's beers and BJ's food.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 02-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Years ago I emailed them and their brewmaster replied, they brew their beer following the Reinheitsgebot, including the contract beers they brew. I like their Trader Joes stuff.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

GB is originally from Palo Alto, CA. I've been to their original location on numerous occasions as well as the SF and SJ locations. Both their food and their beer is decent but not spectacular. Definitely nice to have around but also could be much better.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

They don't usually branch out on what they do, same seasonals and nothing new, but the do what the do very well. Good food and if love garlic, the garlic fries are awesome. Went to the one in Tysons corner on a regular basis when I was there

Quick Reply