Goose Island IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbw

Reaction score
This is a Chicago Beer. Very nice. Anyone ever have it? Love to get a partial mash recipe!

have not made it or had the original but got this recipe from another board somewhere which is close and pretty good they said - I'm thinking of adding it to my next couple brews. I'd replace 10lbs of the 2 row with 6 lbs+ DME or whatever to get it to target and mash 2 lbs 2-row with the rest - actually probably up the other grains to 1 lb even as well for a partial. have not dropped it into a calculator yet to be exact for you but it is a good start FWIW.

Recipe : IPA, Goose Island Clone

Batch Size (GAL): 5.00 Wort Size (GAL): 5.00
Total Grain (LBS): 14.25
Anticipated OG: 1.065
Anticipated SRM: 10.6
Anticipated IBU: 77.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
84.2 12.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)
5.3 0.75 lbs. Wheat Malt
5.3 0.75 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row)
5.3 0.75 lbs. Crystal 60L

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.30 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 58.3 60 min.
1.35 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 13.4 30 min.
0.75 oz. Fuggle pellet 5.00 3.9 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.50 1.9 15 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Tablet Whirlfloc Fining 20 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

Danstar Nothingham Dry

The wheat and Munich should actually convert themselves and the crystal won't convert under any circumstances, so while I'm not a partial mash expert by any means I don't think the 2-row would be necessary for a partial mash conversion.

Sure I have. Its real good. I used to live in Chicago and go to the Goose. There was an active brewing club that met there when I lived there. I think they still meet there cause I saw some advertisment from them for last Saturday. Nice thing about Chicago is that you dont have to worry about drinking and driving. Just take the El :)

TRUE: I like to drop a 1 or 2 lbs of 2-row in any extract for fresh flavor but that is just me. you can leave it out if you like but still do a mash for the munich/wheat.

I never had the IPA but on my yearly trade show visits to chicago we would hammer down the goose island honkers ale at the hotel bars.

Reviving an old thread here. I've never had the GI IPA (love their honkers though!), but looking to brew this. Anyone have personal experience with it? How did it turn out?

Back