Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Goose Island and AB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #21
bgrayson726
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrookeiv View Post
Terrible news. Another megacorp making ****ty beer just got bigger, which means every time a craft beer drinker buys Goose Island's beer, A/B will profit.
Yep.

What gets me worried about it is that Greg Hall is stepping down. I wonder how much it will change/if it will, in fact, change

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #22
beesy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Guess I'll hit up the brewpubs (Clybourn at least - not having them involved in the sale does little to preserve the beers they'll soon be serving IMHO) Dark Lord Weekend for a proper sendoff.

Positives - Deschutes brewer in the Midwest - yea!!

Old 03-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #23
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricScott View Post
Yeah, this. The partnership, up until now, was a distribution partnership. Now GI is losing its Brewmaster. Quite a different arrangement.
Indeed. I'm guessing there will be some serious changes to their beer offerings. AB is doing anything in their power to break into the craft beer market. Makes me sick.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 03-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #24
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricScott View Post
But Bourbon County Stout was my favorite.
And more than likely now there's gonna be more of it available to us next year.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #25
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm sure Larry Bell engineered this to take heat off himself. Keep those torches lit boys.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 03-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #26
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
i'm sure larry bell engineered this to take heat off himself. Keep those torches lit boys.
+1.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #27
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Quote:
Indeed. I'm guessing there will be some serious changes to their beer offerings. AB is doing anything in their power to break into the craft beer market. Makes me sick.
this is just way too "f the man!" for me. AB wants to break into the craft beer market?! really?? hm, if you owned AB, what the heck would you do? Lets see, macro beer sales declining, micro beer sales exponentially increasing......ah f it, lets keep doing what we're doing and get some lunch.....

of course AB wants to get into the craft beer market!! why wouldn't they??

i don't see how there would be serious changes to their offerings. I do see how their might be quality/consistency issues when they start brewing GI beer at different facilities.

oh, uh, i'm still planning on sending you those hops. eventually.....lol...
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 03-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #28
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6037 Times on 5280 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Quote:
AB is doing anything in their power to break into the craft beer market. Makes me sick.
From a business standpoint, I see nothing wrong with what InBev-AB is doing. They are starting to realize that the beer market is ever so slightly changing, and their are trying to cash in on it.

As I've said in all of these posts - as soon as Sam C., Jim K., Ken G., etc....starting operating at a $$$ loss in order to provide the voluntarily provide the world with their great craft beer, I have a hard time accepting that InBev is taking over the world so that they can push BMC down our throats even though more are craving IPAs....

Remember - all breweries are in it to make money.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #29
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
this is just way too "f the man!" for me. AB wants to break into the craft beer market?! really?? hm, if you owned AB, what the heck would you do? Lets see, macro beer sales declining, micro beer sales exponentially increasing......ah f it, lets keep doing what we're doing and get some lunch.....

i don't see how there would be serious changes to their offerings. I do see how their might be quality/consistency issues when they start brewing GI beer at different facilities.
It seems as though they could come up with something original instead of gobbling up the little guys. That's what makes me sick. I'm not a fan of big businesses destroying the mom & pop businesses. I haven't drank/bought a Bud/Miller/Coors product in almost 2 years, not a fan of the way they run their business.

Also, I'm sure Bud will change whatever they can in the recipes to increase their profit margin and keep the final product similar. I'll pass...

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 03-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #30
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post

+1 Except one of the articles stated they wouldn't be brewing at AB's facilities, and least not in St Louis. They're probably just going to expand GI's facilities.

I don't see how THIS is breaking the craft beer industry...

Quote:
March 28, 2011
Dear Friends,

When I first started Goose Island Clybourn in 1988, drinkers were just beginnning to explore new beer styles and "craft beer" was a term that no one had even thought of. I couldn't imagine the explosive growth that craft beer has had in the last few years, or the amazing creativity of so many new brewers, and the discovery of the amazing possibilities of beer by a whole generation of drinkers.

I am very proud of Goose Island's contribution too this craft beer movement, of the many awards won by our brewers, our growing number of employees, our support of the communities and life of Chicago, and the friendship of so many beer lovers in Chicago and elsewhere.

Over the past five years our partnerships with Craft Brewers Alliance and Anheuser-Busch have enabled Goose Island to reach a growing number of beer drinkers. This has fueled our growth to the point that demand for our beers has outgrown the capacity of our brewery. Recently, we’ve even had to limit production of some classic and medal-winning styles. To keep up with growing demand from drinkers we’ve explored a variety of paths too secure new capital to support our growth.

Today’s agreement to consolidate ownership of Goose Island under Anheuser-Busch will provide us with the best resources available to continue along our path of growth and innovation.

I am more excited than ever about Goose Island’s future. With the support and financial backing of our new partner, we will continue to brew our authentic classic styles, develop new amazing beers, and serve our drinkers.

Cheers!
John Hall
Sounds pretty horrifying to me....

Quick Reply