Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Goose Island and AB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
bgrayson726
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was just about to post this. Very sad day in the craft beer world.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

According to John Hall's statement on Goose Island's website they've already been in partnership with them for 5 years...

Quote:
Over the past five years our partnerships with Craft Brewers Alliance and Anheuser-Busch have enabled Goose Island to reach a growing number of beer drinkers. This has fueled our growth to the point that demand for our beers has outgrown the capacity of our brewery. Recently, we’ve even had to limit production of some classic and medal-winning styles. To keep up with growing demand from drinkers we’ve explored a variety of paths too secure new capital to support our growth.

Today’s agreement to consolidate ownership of Goose Island under Anheuser-Busch will provide us with the best resources available to continue along our path of growth and innovation.

I am more excited than ever about Goose Island’s future. With the support and financial backing of our new partner, we will continue to brew our authentic classic styles, develop new amazing beers, and serve our drinkers.
That might me why we can actually GET goose Island products in stores.

As long as GI gets to maintain control of their product, then all it's gonna really do is expand GI's distribution...So to me that's a good thing.

I just don't get bent out of shape about stuff like this, I just try to look at side of things. But then again I don't buy into the whole AHB is the "evil empire" nonsense.

Heck maybe that will mean their annual bourbon barrel stout will be made in a larger run.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #13
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
According to John Hall's statement on Goose Island's website they've already been in partnership with them for 5 years...

That might me why we can actually GET goose Island products in stores.

As long as GI gets to maintain control of their product, then all it's gonna really do is expand GI's distribution...So to me that's a good thing.

I just don't get bent out of shape about stuff like this, I just try to look at side of things. But then again I don't buy into the whole AHB is the "evil empire" nonsense.

Heck maybe that will mean their annual bourbon barrel stout will be made in a larger run.
WHATEVER YOU COMMIE MONOPOLIST

As long as the quality doesn't diminish, I say more power to em

Old 03-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #14
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1933 Times on 1399 Posts
Likes Given: 1055

Crap. I really liked their IPA and several others.

And to think that AB won't change the recipe is absurd. Of course they will do whatever the hell they want once they get in there.

On the positive side, expect someone as talented as Greg Hall to announce his involvement with another, or even his own, brewery. It happens all the time.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #15
steakandale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Shouldn't that say AB-In-Bev ?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #16
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 366

there has been another thread about this

the biggest bombshell there is Greg Hall is stepping down as brewmaster.

Yeah, AB has owned 30-some-odd percent of them for the past 5 years. this might be different....i wonder how much "control" of the product John Hall will be able to maintain

we'll see i guess.

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 03-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #17
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakandale View Post
Shouldn't that say AB-In-Bev ?
That's the only thing that I really found odd about the whole thing. None of the articles call it AB/Inbev. They may mention inbev at the end of the article, but not in the initial part, I wonder if they are downplaying it or not.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #18
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Terrible news. Another megacorp making ****ty beer just got bigger, which means every time a craft beer drinker buys Goose Island's beer, A/B will profit.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 03-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #19
EricScott
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

But Bourbon County Stout was my favorite.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #20
EricScott
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
there has been another thread about this

the biggest bombshell there is Greg Hall is stepping down as brewmaster.

Yeah, AB has owned 30-some-odd percent of them for the past 5 years. this might be different....i wonder how much "control" of the product John Hall will be able to maintain

we'll see i guess.
Yeah, this. The partnership, up until now, was a distribution partnership. Now GI is losing its Brewmaster. Quite a different arrangement.

Quick Reply