New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Good way to pasteurize Cherries??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
syd138
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Good way to pasteurize Cherries??

I want to try out mixing some cherries in with the next weissen I make.

Does it make sense to boil about a gallon of water in a separte pot, let it get to 170, then throw a few pounds of cherries in there, and letting them steep?

Then put that in the primary and put the wort in next?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You don't need to boil first, about 30 minutes at 170-180ish should do the trick.

Or, you could go with a can of Oregon fruit puree. Sterilized in the can with no pits or skins, just pour it right in. Also, you may want to wait until you rack to secondary, put in in then rack on top.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 12-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
syd138
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

See, in the Joy of Homebrewing he says to throw the cherries in at the end of the boil and let them steep.. but then you have the boile hops sitting in the carboy for a couple weeks untill you rack it.

So if you steep the cherries separately, then you won't have that problem correct?

Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Couldn't you just bathe the cherries in a campden tablet solution and then put them directly into the secondary.

I'm curious about this too as I could see puttin cherries into a batch of beer or doing a cherry cider when they are in season.

(I have a cherry pie in my oven as we speak.)

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #5
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 15 Posts

Personally, anytime I've ever used fruit (4 or 5 batches), I always put it in the secondary after at least a week and a half with no sanitizer. I rack the beer right on top of the fruit. I've never had an infection. I have always assumed that there was enough alcohol to kill whatever was hanging out in my fruit. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe it actually doesn't need to be sterilized, I'm not sure but the beer is always good with no infection.

What's tappening? :D

Old 12-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschatz View Post
Personally, anytime I've ever used fruit (4 or 5 batches), I always put it in the secondary after at least a week and a half with no sanitizer. I rack the beer right on top of the fruit. I've never had an infection. I have always assumed that there was enough alcohol to kill whatever was hanging out in my fruit. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe it actually doesn't need to be sterilized, I'm not sure but the beer is always good with no infection.
I've heard this exact thing and started to mention it but then I realized that I wasn't sure it was true. What if there is wild yeast that can ferment sugars that beer yeast doesn't? Not a infection exactly but possibly some nastiness, yes?
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:56 PM   #7
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
I've heard this exact thing and started to mention it but then I realized that I wasn't sure it was true. What if there is wild yeast that can ferment sugars that beer yeast doesn't? Not a infection exactly but possibly some nastiness, yes?
I think the best thing is canned pasteurized fruit or Camden tablet soak. I have a leaning to the soak. I made several ciders were I used canned oregon fruit and I wound up having a wild and tart cider. Gushers in the bottle after they passed 1.000. - No Good. I am totally anal on sanitation. I've yet to get a beer infection after 3+ years of brewing

Extract is a good alternative too.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 12-11-2008, 01:22 AM   #8
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just made a cherry wheat. I pasteurized the cherries by mashing them in a pan, adding a few cups of water then heating and holding them at about 180f for about 20 minutes. Also, you want to put fruit in the secondary not the primary or else you will develop a wine-type flavor.

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Old 12-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #9
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 35

The delicious apricot wit in my fridge right now was actually made by boiling in Oregon apricot puree, not adding it during the secondary. Still get plenty of fruit flavor and the natural citrus of the wit compliments it nicely.

Kegged: Strawberry Banana Blonde -- Sahti

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 12-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
syd138
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCuckerson View Post
Also, you want to put fruit in the secondary not the primary or else you will develop a wine-type flavor.
Interesting

Quick Reply