Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Good taste at kegging, but not after aging and drinkin...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 02:24 AM   #11
Hardleft
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

It could be an infection anywhere in your process that only is noticeable after some time in your keg.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 02:24 AM   #12
dfohio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger084 View Post
no, i am not purging any air... not sure what this would do...
Purging the keg would remove the oxygen from the headspace and seat the lid, sealing the keg.

You said kegs were clean so I take it you have replaced all o-rings and cleaned all posts?

I had the same thing in my first brews, but it was from my water. If you use spring water, you should be fine. However, you don't really know what is in the spring water. Try to get an analysis from the company or try distilled once.

Primary: Citrus Wheat Experiment/WLP029 & WYEAST 1056
Secondary: Oktoberfest
Bottle: Empty

Old 12-10-2009, 03:35 AM   #13
profarm
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfohio View Post
Purging the keg would remove the oxygen from the headspace and seat the lid, sealing the keg.
+1 on this...also what are your fermentation temps?

Old 12-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #14
zinger084
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by profarm View Post
+1 on this...also what are your fermentation temps?
I will try purging some air from the kegs after a few days.

My fermentation temps around around 64-68 (basement).

I guess it could be an infection that is lingering or something. I only changed out the o-rings that were pretty bad looking (lid seal, some post o-rings). I didn't pull the dipstick and replace those or anything and I didn't think this was absolutely necessary. I sanitize every keg right before kegging the beer. I always make sure that some of the sanitizer runs up the dipstick as well.

I'll have to see how this latest brew comes out (GLBC Christmas Ale Clone). I am really excited to have it out of the keg, and I hope it tastes just like it did going in. If not, I am about to buy a bunch of secondaries and drink from there

Old 12-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #15
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

It might be the style of beers you are making and the fact that your aging them for a while (you said couple of months). Does the whole keg taste that way or is it perhaps you are tasting the bottom sediment of the first couple of pints from the keg. If you mad an IPA or used a fair amount of hops, the first couple of pints will have a bit more sediment. I know the second half of my keg taste quite different from the first.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 12-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #16
zinger084
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRC View Post
It might be the style of beers you are making and the fact that your aging them for a while (you said couple of months). Does the whole keg taste that way or is it perhaps you are tasting the bottom sediment of the first couple of pints from the keg. If you mad an IPA or used a fair amount of hops, the first couple of pints will have a bit more sediment. I know the second half of my keg taste quite different from the first.

My beers in order since starting in July...

Oatmeal Stout
ESB
IPA - on tap
Munich Helles - on tap
Nut Brown Ale - 5 weeks kegged
GLBC Christmas Ale Clone - 3 days kegged

The whole keg tastes this way. The first few when tapping a new one always have some sediment, and then it settles to perfectly clear beer.

It's sorda like how GLBC / Sam Adams / Leinenkugel's / others have the same underlying taste accross the board - but all my beers are extremely the same tasting with no aroma at all.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #17
dfohio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What brand of extract are you using? Do you know the freshness and quality of the extract?

Primary: Citrus Wheat Experiment/WLP029 & WYEAST 1056
Secondary: Oktoberfest
Bottle: Empty

Old 12-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #18
zinger084
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am using LD Carlson DME. It's a little cheaper than Muntons. Not sure about freshness, but I know my LHBS moves it pretty well. I don't see how it could be the DME if it tastes extremely good when I move it from the secondary to the keg.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

First, you can't just "allow sanitizer to go up the diptube". Take it apart. Replace the o-rings, and clean and sanitize fully.

Secondly, you MUST purge the keg immediately upon filling. You could even put some co2 in the keg before racking your beer into it. Close it up, then give it a blast of c02 (I do it at 30 psi), pull the pressure relief valve, and do it a couple of more time. Oxidized beer will have an unpleasant flavor, a certain wet cardboard flavor, and it will be apparent if you age the beers for several weeks/months with 02 in the keg.

I think those two techniques will fix any problems with your poor flavor.

Also, 2.5 ounces (by weight) of priming sugar is sufficient for one keg. You don't need 3/4 of a cup. That's for bottling.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #20
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Its probably oxidation or infection. Some infections don't really add any off flavor but can remove flavor, body or sweetness. This can leave the beer out of balance and tasting harshly bitter in some cases.

I don't see why if you are keg priming you would need to purge the keg of oxygen. People bottle conditioning aren't purging the bottles of oxygen. There is less relative head space in a keg too, I think this is a red herring.

I also think anything to do with ingredients or water is a red herring. I have not known bad ingredients to make a good tasting beer that later tastes bad. Infection and oxidation do that.

Quick Reply