Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Good San Francisco area homebrew shop?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3688 Times on 2271 Posts
Likes Given: 3191

Default Good San Francisco area homebrew shop?

My brother lives in Half Moon Bay. His Bday is in July and I'll be going out there... I want to get him brewing. He'll need a good shop.

I am going to get him straight into AG in case it matters.

Any shop recommendations? Something with good grain selection, decent equipment, and knowledgeable staff?

TIA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Your closest option would be Morebeer on San Antonio Rd. in Mountain View. It is the shop I frequent most often. Seven Bridges in Santa Cruz is also great but you have to call ahead if you are buying grain. I'm not sure about the shops in S.F. but I know there are some good ones.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I believe SF Brewcraft is the main one in the city. I've never actually been there and hear "The Grizz" can be difficult to deal with sometimes.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 05-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
Frank99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hold on, hold on... Getting someone into homebrewing is like "getting someone into golf." If he's not passionate about it already then it ain't gonna work.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
CorneliusAlphonse
Recipes 

Buying the equipment and making a batch could very well get someone into home brew - especially once they taste the products . Especially if you know the person, you could tell if it is something they might enjoy - good beer, fun process. Then again, other people might get the equipment and let it gather dust in the corner. It is really dependent on what your brother is like.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Haven't been to the Morebeer in Mountain View, but I have been to the Morebeer in Concord, and it was pretty nice, well stocked, etc. And it is definitely the closest to Half Moon Bay.

IMO, if you're willing to drive at bit, the best LHBS in the Bay by far is Oak Barrel in Berkeley. It's fantastic. You can drink beer on tap while you shop, they have everything, and the people who work there really know what they're talking about.

SF Brewcraft is the only LHBS in SF proper. I sometimes go there, but just to buy grain, since they're more expensive than everyone else. The guys who work there are really nice, but they've given both me and other people I've witnessed some truly awful advice. Griz is a character, but he's also extremely opinionated, and sometimes difficult to chat with. I'd warn your brother against that place, at least as a source of brewing advice.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #7
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank99 View Post
Hold on, hold on... Getting someone into homebrewing is like "getting someone into golf." If he's not passionate about it already then it ain't gonna work.
Shhhh, I'm close enough to buy the used equipment if he isn't into it

I'd suggest MoreBeer. I have a buddy that also lives in HMB and uses them. SF BrewCraft, yeah, I've heard not such good things about the owner. He refused to sell my friends hops because he didn't like the sound of the recipe/hop schedule.

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 05-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #8
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBasile View Post
Shhhh, I'm close enough to buy the used equipment if he isn't into it

I'd suggest MoreBeer. I have a buddy that also lives in HMB and uses them. SF BrewCraft, yeah, I've heard not such good things about the owner. He refused to sell my friends hops because he didn't like the sound of the recipe/hop schedule.
Yep, that sounds like my friend's experience there. He wanted to buy extra yeast because he needed to make a big starter and Griz refused to sell it to him because, in his opinion, you only need one vial or packet, apparently regardless of gravity or batch size!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 05-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #9
threeeight
Recipes 

I like oak barrel, but I've found that their prices are significantly higher than morebeer. I shop at both, depending on whether I have time to drive out to concord or not.

A good buddy shops at sf brewcraft, and seems to like grizz, but I've got no personal experience with him and the shop.

Just 2 more cents...

bottled: Bearskin Rug Barleywine (2010), Siberian Winter RIS (2011)

Old 05-12-2010, 03:17 AM   #10
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3688 Times on 2271 Posts
Likes Given: 3191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank99 View Post
Don't worry frank. He's into it.

Quick Reply