Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Good places to go in Chicago for beer/food

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
agroff383
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Good places to go in Chicago for beer/food

Hey all, I asked for advice before on a trip with my wife to DC, now were going to Chicago for a short trip (2 days)...I have never been out that far West driving, so I want to know the best places to drink and the best bottle shops...I dont have a lot of time while Im there so I am hoping to hit one of the best spots, or maybe even something out of the way/funky/small, too...

Also any advice where a good place to stay is, what area? Is public transportation good? Any decent brewpubs or brewery tours worth hitting up?

Can I have your business card?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Check out the two goose island pubs in wrigglyville or claybourne, or three floyds in munster, in isn't too far but can be oveercrowded.

Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/
One gallon brewing blog http://onegallonbrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 04-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 383 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Hit up Three Floyds on the way in. Just south of 80/94 on the IL/IN border.

If you get out to the burbs, TwoBrothers is great. They're in the middle of releasing a bunch of 15th anniversary brews, so, depending on when you come, you might get something special. They're ~30mi west of the city. Food is good, but skip the tour.

Downtown, try Goose Island Green Line. Only served on-tap, only in Chicago. One of my favorites.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Definitely stop off at half acre

http://halfacrebeer.com/verify.html?continue=/

If you are coming from the East and passing just south of MI take a detour and go to Saywer, MI and stop at Greenbush

http://greenbushbrewing.com/

Another new one is Pipeworks:
http://www.pipeworksbrewing.com/

Enjoy the trip!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 319 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Another vote for Goose Island - it's a block from Wrigley field, which is easy to reach from anywhere in the city via public transportation.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 04-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by agroff383 View Post
Hey all, I asked for advice before on a trip with my wife to DC, now were going to Chicago for a short trip (2 days)...I have never been out that far West driving, so I want to know the best places to drink and the best bottle shops...I dont have a lot of time while Im there so I am hoping to hit one of the best spots, or maybe even something out of the way/funky/small, too...

Also any advice where a good place to stay is, what area? Is public transportation good? Any decent brewpubs or brewery tours worth hitting up?
Sorry, didn't read the rest of the post.............

If you stay in the downtown area (The Magnificent Mile) there are plenty of great hotels and either by cab, bus, the EL (train) you can go about anywhere easily!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
Headley_Lamarr
Recipes 

Haymarket Brewery is downtown. Their beers are decent. Revolution Brewing has a nice taproom/restaurant. Halfacre is great but there's no real place to sit and drink their beer. Go up there and take the tour on Saturday then drink their beer at Fountainhead or Bad Apple (great burgers there too). Here is a non-comprehensive, North-side centric, list of bars that specialize in a great beer selections: Hopleaf, Map Room, Fountainhead, Bad Apple, Quenchers, Piece (brew their own there too) and Sheffields. Publican is a great upscale restaurant with an outstanding beer menu.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
jeffdill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

3 Floyds is like 45 minutes away in Indiana. You can hit it on the way in. I was seriously floored by how good their beers are...especially if you like hops. The door guy is kind of rude and the food is meh but the beer is phenomenal.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #9
tbrink
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 on haymarket. They have a great selection of beers, and its a couple of blocks north of greektown. If you fancy a great Greek meal, I recommend the Greek islands which is just down the street. Jake melnicks tap house is great too...they don't make their own, but you'll find something you've never tried before. Down the street on the same block is the Rosebud Italian restaurant, which is a place I always hit whenever I'm in Chicago. Jakes is close enough that when I wait for my party at rosebud to be called with one of those pager things, I go there for a couple of beers. There's also a decent liquor store near the navy pier, but the name is escaping me at the moment. Something like untapped or uncorked.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
Face Eater
I brew beer....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts

Piece, revolution and haymarket for sure if your looking for breweries. All have great beer and good food too.

Quick Reply