Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Good places for craft brew in London?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2009, 01:47 AM   #1
smitty2324
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Good places for craft brew in London?

Heading to London for a week on Saturday. Going to doall of the usual tourist stuff. My wife suggested that we do the ESB brewery tour, but we'll probably skip it b/c it is pretty out of the way. I'd much rather find a place that serves various craft brews that you can't get in the US.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
smitty2324
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

No London people on here?

Old 10-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
hcarter
Recipes 

PM Orfy, I bet he'd help you out if he can.

Creag `An Tuirc
A Highlander likes two things naked. The other's Scotch.
- Howard
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-make-yeast-starter-pictorial-76101/

Old 10-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Remember the White Horse being good, but the website says they only have 6-8 casks, which ain't so great. Bottle list is great though...

I was last there 9 years ago.

http://www.whitehorsesw6.com/

They're not far from the Parsons Green tube stop.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
IanP
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Pubs in the UK don't really set themselves up as craft brew places, because almost all of them sell real ale (if they don't, leave) and it's just a question of where they get their selection from. It's fair to say that all the real ale served in the pubs is stuff you can't get in the US, just by being cask ale. I suggest you should focus on finding good pubs, period. The best for beer are 'open houses' where the landlord is not tied to one brewery and can sell what he likes. These days many 'tied' houses also carry one or two guest beers, so you should find interesting stuff without trying too hard. Your best bet is to check out websites like www.fancyapint.com (my preferred site, particularly useful for the search by tube station, and because the rating system is heavily weighted to the quality/range of beer), and www.beerintheevening.com. This page is a good start - http://www.fancyapint.com/more/best-pubs-for/beer.html.

Also, depending on where you are staying, the Fuller's brewery really isn't far from central London - only a shortish tube ride and a ten minute walk. Tie in a stroll along the river to the Dove (if it's a nice day) and you're all set. Have a great time!

Conditioning : Assorted Meads
On Deck : Belgian IPA
Waiting : Oatmeal Stout

Old 10-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Jif
Recipes 

I'll be in London this January, looking into all of this!

Old 10-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
smitty2324
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanP View Post
Pubs in the UK don't really set themselves up as craft brew places, because almost all of them sell real ale (if they don't, leave) and it's just a question of where they get their selection from. It's fair to say that all the real ale served in the pubs is stuff you can't get in the US, just by being cask ale. I suggest you should focus on finding good pubs, period. The best for beer are 'open houses' where the landlord is not tied to one brewery and can sell what he likes. These days many 'tied' houses also carry one or two guest beers, so you should find interesting stuff without trying too hard. Your best bet is to check out websites like www.fancyapint.com (my preferred site, particularly useful for the search by tube station, and because the rating system is heavily weighted to the quality/range of beer), and www.beerintheevening.com. This page is a good start - http://www.fancyapint.com/more/best-pubs-for/beer.html.

Also, depending on where you are staying, the Fuller's brewery really isn't far from central London - only a shortish tube ride and a ten minute walk. Tie in a stroll along the river to the Dove (if it's a nice day) and you're all set. Have a great time!
That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Quick Reply