Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is it a good idea? Calling all Engineeers and Software guys!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #11
blackdragon82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrator View Post

Just be smart with your money. I see a lot of guys newly out of school buying new cars and lots of expensive toys. Get yourself a few things, but save that money and buy the fancy things later when you get the big paycheck.
Yeah I had a lot of friends I graduated with buy new cars right before graduation nothing huge and fancy but new none the less. I have had a new car will never do that again. Such a waste when depreciation roles in. I am a pretty frugal guy who budgets well (or at least I think so). As long as it doesn't affect my brewing fund I'm good I've always been happy with simple things.

Carboy 1:Russian Imperial Stout
Carboy 2:Russian Imperial Stout
Carboy 3:Double Choc Milk Stout
Carboy 4:empty :(
Keg 1: English Brown Ale
Keg 2: Barleywine
Keg 3: Cider
Keg 4: Backup Cider :D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #12
integrator
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was curious about the masters degree. Does that help you in the software field? I know in my field it gets you nothing unless you want to teach.
I've found an MBA to be one of the best things, if you want to get into management at some point. Again, just throwing things out - do what you want with it

Old 12-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #13
blackdragon82
Recipes 

I do want to teach actually as an adjunct for a little while. My local PSU campus told me they would gladly take me as a teacher once I finish. With work, from what I see with a masters it puts me in the next payroll bracket up. About 10k more a year.

Carboy 1:Russian Imperial Stout
Carboy 2:Russian Imperial Stout
Carboy 3:Double Choc Milk Stout
Carboy 4:empty :(
Keg 1: English Brown Ale
Keg 2: Barleywine
Keg 3: Cider
Keg 4: Backup Cider :D

Old 12-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #14
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a comp sci degree and started at 40K a few years ago, worked there for a couple years got some experience and as the company was going downhill I got a better paying job elsewhere. Just getting in to the market and getting some experience will be a huge benefit for your next job. Definitely take it.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 12-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2779 Times on 2727 Posts
Likes Given: 121

It may not be the job or salary you're looking for, but you have to keep in mind how many people there are out there that would love to be making even 40K again to help with some of the bills and debt they've accrued being out of work. I would take it, then continue to keep an eye out. I am one who likes to have a paycheck coming in. Hell, when I graduated from college, I went right back to my old McDonalds job while looking for the field job. Having one job doesn't mean you're locked into it the minute a better one presents itself. Plus, those first jobs are hard to get. Nobody wants to hire someone with no experience, especially when they can get experience these days for the same price.
I say take it.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 12-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #16
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

I'm in a completely different field, but I graduated in 2008 and started around the same area. If cost of living isn't very high, then its definitely a decent starting wage. I'd absolutely see what they will do to pay for your Masters / MBA also.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #17
CampfireBrewingCo
Recipes 

If this is the only offer then you don't have a lot of choices... Between a job and no job, I'll take a job.

52 Gallons in 2010.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #18
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

In the absences of better offers, I think you should take the offer you have. If you have multiple offers, my advice is to take the one that offers you the most marketable job skills even if it pays less. The company is only a year old so keep your resume up to date. They may go under.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #19
Daybis
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrator View Post
Just be smart with your money. I see a lot of guys newly out of school buying new cars and lots of expensive toys. Get yourself a few things, but save that money and buy the fancy things later when you get the big paycheck.
I have a friend who graduated with $100k in debit and credit cards. Within 6 months of his new job he bought two new cars and a new house with no money down on it.

I have a BS in Physics and I started looking for work the second I graduated two years ago. I couldn't find anything. I had a few bites from Entergy and few other places, but most positions eventually got cancelled. I ended up going to graduate school and doing research at one of the labs at my university. I got lucky and the lab hired me on as full-time as researcher, but I would have taken anything when I first started looking. With unemployment as high as it is, I would be happy with anything I could get. This is also a good opportunity to get some good work experience and pump up the resume. You never know where this job will lead you. I absolutely love my job, and I wasn't expecting to land where I did.

Ontap: Hard Cider
Primary: IIPA, All-Tythos IPA
On Deck: Munich Dunkel, Classic Rauch, Breakfast Porter, American Stout

Old 12-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #20
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Since you're in PA, I'll offer what I can.

41k in any area of PA outside of 2-3 decent cities (Philly/Pitt/H-burg) is probably pretty good. Non-city living is cheap, and it's tough to find decent tech jobs there. Having no experience (but a degree) -- 41k is not that bad for the area.

I've seen jobs (before I moved to a better area) in PA that are so-called "entry level" for under $10/hr in the tech field (hell desk and the like). The fact that you're in software makes things a lot better for you and why you're even getting the $41k.

If this is philly -- you may be getting burned a little, but weigh it out with benefits and travel to the job. If it's nice and close and an easy drive, then it's probably well worth it. If your'e driving an hour to the other side of Philly spending $ on gas and time sitting on the Surekill Expressway...maybe it's not worth it, but only you can make that decision.

Quick Reply