Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is it a good idea? Calling all Engineeers and Software guys!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #91
spiny_norman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegionalChaos View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, but I don't know about working full time and getting a masters degree. I have a masters in Comp. Sci, and I worked part time at a software company during that. I have no clue how I was able to make it happen. At the end of the quarter I would be up everynight until 2 or 3 am, then wake up at 7am and start all over again. The weekend? What was that? End of the quarter I would just work non-stop for about 4-5 weeks. I would not be working at the software company at that time, they were flexible and understanding. I can't imaging holding a full time job and getting a masters degree. I was also a GTF during that time. Good luck with it all!
The trick is to find a day job that isn't too demanding

I have a full time position and I'm half way through a Master's (and averaging an upper distinction). In addition to serving on the advisory board of a startup and an outside consulting contract. If I couldn't moonlight at work and pursue the bulk of my studies there this would not be possible.

To answer the poster's original question: you'll be hard pressed to see anything north of low 100's once you've acquired substantial experience as a software engineer so you might want to consider a management track at post-graduate level. It will give you options when you get to a mid-career position (or earlier) that a bachelor's won't.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #92
bernerbrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

My first IT job out of college wasn't until a year and a half after my graduation, and it was for 40K (well, actually, I got an offer for around 25K and worked there for about a week before getting offered the 40K job). That's pretty much how an IT career works: you start somewhat low, then move from job to job, negotiating a higher salary for your experience each time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply