Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Good hops to complement Chinook?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #21
Skep18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 145
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Thanks everyone for the great input. I will be sure to post up my perceived review of the beer when it does finally get kegged. I think I'll get an ounce or two of Cascade and dry hop with that. From the post above, seems like I should ahve done more 0min additions if not hop standing. Thanks!

__________________
Skep18 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #22
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 4,025
Liked 638 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skep18 View Post
1.0 oz Chinook @ 60min
1.0 oz Chinook @ 40min
0.5 oz Cascade @ 40min
1.0 oz Cascade @ 10min
1.0 oz Chinook @ 5min
1.0 oz Cascade @ 5min
0.5 oz Cascade @ 0min
<snip>

Should I go back and buy some Cascade for dry hopping? Any clue on what to expect from this beer? Does the boil schedule above sound like something disgusting? lol. I know you can't know, but just some thoughts would be appreciated. Beginning to think I just threw away my (admittedly small) investment on this brew.
that hopping schedule, IMO, is fine - but i would have skipped the 40 minute additions. at 40 minutes you're boiling away almost all of the aroma and flavor, and you're not getting 100% of the bitterness... worse of both worlds. i would have moved some of those hops to 60 mins, and the rest to 0.

definitely get some more cascade for dry-hopping. at least 2 oz.
__________________
.
What hops should I grow? Hop grower's comparison table. Looking for cheap honey?

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops
sweetcell is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #23
Skep18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 145
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
that hopping schedule, IMO, is fine - but i would have skipped the 40 minute additions. at 40 minutes you're boiling away almost all of the aroma and flavor, and you're not getting 100% of the bitterness... worse of both worlds. i would have moved some of those hops to 60 mins, and the rest to 0.

definitely get some more cascade for dry-hopping. at least 2 oz.
Thanks for the boil advice. Never thought of it that way. I suppose that's why 40min never shows up on recipes, lol.
__________________
Skep18 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #24
worthogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: norcal
Posts: 139
Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

You don't need to let you beer sit in primary for a month. At the right temps, and with proper pitching rates, fermentation will be done in a week, two at the most. The sooner you keg those IPAs the less aroma you will lose.

__________________
worthogg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #25
Skep18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 145
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthogg View Post
You don't need to let you beer sit in primary for a month. At the right temps, and with proper pitching rates, fermentation will be done in a week, two at the most. The sooner you keg those IPAs the less aroma you will lose.
So no benefit letting it sit on the yeast cake? No reprocessing of those harsh alcohols/compounds? Just asking, but I know this is a controversial subject.
__________________
Skep18 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #26
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 4,025
Liked 638 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skep18 View Post
So no benefit letting it sit on the yeast cake? No reprocessing of those harsh alcohols/compounds? Just asking, but I know this is a controversial subject.
yes, there is benefit - but that benefit doesn't require a month.

if you ferment correctly (healthy yeast, temp control, nutrients, aeration, etc etc etc) then you won't create as many compounds that need to be cleaned up. hence, once FG is reached you need maybe 3 days of clean-up time. on most average gravity beers that's somewhere around 5-10 days, so 2 weeks allows plenty of time for clean-up. certainly no harm in waiting longer, but if you're in a rush...

however, "ferment correctly" isn't always the case. fermentation can take longer than 10 days, and more crap that needs to be cleaned is generated - requiring a longer post-FG period. that's why the common advice is three weeks in primary. without knowing a person's process, you're better off erring on the long side and making sure that the beer has had every chance to finish up.

most brewers who ask "how long should i wait" tend to not have their processes nailed down, and hence could benefit a longer primary. and often by the time they've got good fermentation practices down, they typically don't need to ask anymore.
__________________
.
What hops should I grow? Hop grower's comparison table. Looking for cheap honey?

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops
sweetcell is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #27
IL1kebeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 723
Liked 88 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell
yes, there is benefit - but that benefit doesn't require a month. if you ferment correctly (healthy yeast, temp control, nutrients, aeration, etc etc etc) then you won't create as many compounds that need to be cleaned up. hence, once FG is reached you need maybe 3 days of clean-up time. on most average gravity beers that's somewhere around 5-10 days, so 2 weeks allows plenty of time for clean-up. certainly no harm in waiting longer, but if you're in a rush... however, "ferment correctly" isn't always the case. fermentation can take longer than 10 days, and more crap that needs to be cleaned is generated - requiring a longer post-FG period. that's why the common advice is three weeks in primary. without knowing a person's process, you're better off erring on the long side and making sure that the beer has had every chance to finish up. most brewers who ask "how long should i wait" tend to not have their processes nailed down, and hence could benefit a longer primary. and often by the time they've got good fermentation practices down, they typically don't need to ask anymore.
+1 on all of your points
__________________
IL1kebeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #28
Skep18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 145
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Doing this recipe again as the last one turned out pretty good after a week or 2 in the keg. This time, I'm using 4oz of Cascade and 4oz of Chinook.

Might anyone want to advise on a boil schedule for this one? Think I'm going to listen to the guy above and stick to early and late additions.

Thanks.

__________________
Skep18 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #29
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 4,025
Liked 638 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Default

1 oz at 60 (or however much you need to get your desired IBUs, use chinook since it's going to be higher AA%)
1 oz at 10
2 oz at 5
2 oz at flame-out
2 oz dry-hop

you could also do a hop stand:
1 oz at 60 (or however much you need to get your desired IBUs, use chinook since it's going to be higher AA%)
1 oz at 5
2 oz at flame-out, let sit for 10 minutes
2 oz at 175-180*F (chill down to 175-180*F, add hops, stir quickly, cover, let rest for 20 mins, then resume chilling)
2 oz dry-hop

if you have any additional hops, increase the dry-hop to 3 or 4 oz.

__________________
.
What hops should I grow? Hop grower's comparison table. Looking for cheap honey?

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops
sweetcell is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 12:31 AM   #30
dantose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: location
Posts: 196
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo all go well with Chinook.
cascade would be my first pick out of those.
__________________
dantose is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US northern brewer hops and Chinook hops recipe mattstanke Recipes/Ingredients 5 08-29-2012 03:34 AM
Pairing Simcoe with Chinook Hops - any good? StarCityBrewMaster Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 07-29-2012 08:20 AM
What hops complement Rye? RC0032 Recipes/Ingredients 6 06-13-2011 08:42 PM
High-AA hops to complement Cascade? Trencher Recipes/Ingredients 14 08-24-2007 09:11 PM
chinook hops DeRoux's Broux Recipes/Ingredients 14 12-31-2005 10:28 PM