Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Beer Discussion (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/)
-   -   Good hops to complement Chinook? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/good-hops-complement-chinook-446518/)

Skep18 12-06-2013 03:10 PM

Good hops to complement Chinook?
 
I bought a few kits of the Chinook IPA from NB on their Columbus Day sale and I wanted to make the beer a bit more interesting. I've made 2 of the 3 I bought, and liked them, but for the third, I was hoping to make a hoppier version. The recipe, as is, is more of a Pale Ale, not so much IPA. Reminds me of Sieera Nevada or something. Can anyone recommend a good hop compliment to the Chinook hops and make it more of an IPA? I'm pretty open to hop flavor profiles, but this one seems to need a bit more floral or even light citrus.

Per NB, recipe as follows:

Quote:


OG: 1.053

KIT INVENTORY:

SPECIALTY GRAIN
- 0.75 lbs Belgian Caramel Pils
- 0.25 lbs Briess Caramel 120

FERMENTABLES
- 6 lbs Pilsen malt syrup
- 1 lb Pilsen dry malt extract

HOPS & FLAVORINGS
- 1 oz Chinook (60 min)
- 0.5 oz Chinook (10 min)
- 0.5 oz Chinook (1 min)
- 1 oz Chinook (dry hop)
Per BeerAdvocate:

Quote:

Chinook is a bittering variety with aroma characteristics released in May, 1985. It was bred by crossing a Petham Golding with the USDA 63012 male.

A high alpha acid hop with a wonderful herbal, almost smoky character when used as an aromatic during the last few minutes of the boil when dry hoping. Excellent for hopping American-style Pale Ales, especially those brewed to higher gravities. (alpha acid: 12.0-14.0% / beta acid: 3.0-4.0%)

swackattack 12-06-2013 03:24 PM

Brew it as is. It's a great recipe and it sounds like a good way to better understand chinook for future brews since you dont sound real familar with it

coolharry 12-06-2013 03:29 PM

I just did a pale ale with chinook and citra and it turned out great. I kept the chinook as the bittering hop and then paired both for the later additions and dry hopping.

flars 12-06-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skep18 (Post 5721662)
I bought a few kits of the Chinook IPA from NB on their Columbus Day sale and I wanted to make the beer a bit more interesting. I've made 2 of the 3 I bought, and liked them, but for the third, I was hoping to make a hoppier version. The recipe, as is, is more of a Pale Ale, not so much IPA. Reminds me of Sieera Nevada or something. Can anyone recommend a good hop compliment to the Chinook hops and make it more of an IPA? I'm pretty open to hop flavor profiles, but this one seems to need a bit more floral or even light citrus.

Per NB, recipe as follows:



Per BeerAdvocate:

Will the info on hops in this link help?
http://www.brew365.com/hop_substitution_chart.php

Skep18 12-06-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swackattack (Post 5721710)
Brew it as is. It's a great recipe and it sounds like a good way to better understand chinook for future brews since you dont sound real familar with it

I have 2 batches of this recipe on tap. Looking for something else. I admittedly have little experience in brewing, but dunno that a 3rd batch will do me as much good as exploring pairing options. But thanks for the input.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolharry (Post 5721737)
I just did a pale ale with chinook and citra and it turned out great. I kept the chinook as the bittering hop and then paired both for the later additions and dry hopping.

I was thinking about that as I've heard it can be a good, strong IPA hop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flars (Post 5721772)
Will the info on hops in this link help?
http://www.brew365.com/hop_substitution_chart.php

Definitely does, thanks!

AZ_IPA 12-06-2013 03:49 PM

Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo all go well with Chinook.

Trox 12-06-2013 03:53 PM

Simcoe also goes well with Chinook

beergolf 12-06-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ_IPA (Post 5721804)
Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo all go well with Chinook.

My thoughts exactly.

I am brewing an IPA with Centennial and Chinook tomorrow.

JRems 12-07-2013 01:25 PM

I think Columbus, simcoe, even cascade go pretty well with chinook.

d3track 12-07-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRems (Post 5723989)
I think Columbus, simcoe, even cascade go pretty well with chinook.

I really like Columbus and chinook together, my best IPAs have been that combo


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:53 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.