Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Good commercial examples of Vienna style?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
makomachine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Good commercial examples of Vienna style?

So I've had many of the Oktoberfest/Marzen commercial beers and recently brewed one myself. I'm really getting into my lagers and thought I might try a Vienna to go beside the Oktoberfest for my Oktoberfest party. I know these beers are cousins and just wanted to pick up a commercial example to see how they differ side by side. Any good commercial offerings you know of for Vienna? And is this worth a brew?

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

August Schell Firebrick Vienna Lager, Great Lakes Eliot Ness, and Trader Joe's Vienna style lager are my three favorite of that style.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
novafire
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

From the BJCP Style Guidelines:
Great Lakes Eliot Ness (unusual in its 6.2% strength and 35 IBUs), Boulevard Bobs 47 Munich-Style Lager, Negra Modelo, Old Dominion Aviator Amber Lager, Gordon Biersch Vienna Lager, Capital Wisconsin Amber, Olde Saratoga Lager, Penn Pilsner

Old 07-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
matts
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dos Equis Amber Lager and Negra Modelo are some decent, commonly available, Vienna lagers.

The style fell out of favor in Vienna but was carried on by Austrian immigrants in Mexico.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Oh yeah there's also my award winning vienna lager recipe in my pulldown. I forgot it's posted.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
makomachine
Recipes 

Thanks guys - appreciate the input. Will have to see what my local store carries on this list.

Revvy - thanks for pointing me to your recipe as it looks like something I might try. I like how it leans so hard on the Vienna which should differentiate it from my Oktoberfest from BCS. Lots of Munich in their Vienna as well and didn't think there would be enough to set the two beers apart to be honest.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Revvy,
I'm not set up to lager but I've really liked the taste Vienna adds as a specialty grain in my pale ales.

What do you think about fermenting your Vienna with a clean ale yeast. SA-05 for example?

OP, sorry for the hijack. Somewhat On Topic: It looks like I'll be in Munich this September on business.

[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polorl69 View Post
I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:13 AM   #8
bh10
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
So I've had many of the Oktoberfest/Marzen commercial beers and recently brewed one myself. I'm really getting into my lagers and thought I might try a Vienna to go beside the Oktoberfest for my Oktoberfest party. I know these beers are cousins and just wanted to pick up a commercial example to see how they differ side by side. Any good commercial offerings you know of for Vienna? And is this worth a brew?
I just did a Vienna Lager and made it as stupid simple as possible and it turned out awesome, 100% German Vienna and 20 ibu's of any Nob;e hop at 60 minute, for yeast I prefer a malt forward yeast, WLP833 (my favorite), WLP 820, or WLP 838 will even work.

Granted its a tad light for the style (add a ounce or two of carafa to get it in range, if thats important), but I did a Double Decoction mash so it darkened it up to a nice deep copper color. Either way you must do a decoction whatever you do.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
makomachine
Recipes 

Tried Dos Equis Amber last night as it was available at the restaurant we happened to be at. Not bad at all and still plan on picking up some of the others for comparison. Think it will be a worthwhile brew to have both an Oktoberfest and Vienna available - thanks for the input!

Old 07-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I did Bradsul's Vienna Lager: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f59/brad...a-lager-80356/ Simple, true to style, and perfect representative of a Vienna lager. I'd highly recommend 100% Vienna malt along with the decoctions.

If you want another lager that's different (I think a Vienna is fairly close to an Oktoberfest in some ways), I'd recommend something either lighter or darker. As a good contrast to the Oktoberfest, I'd prefer a bock or schwartzbier for a darker lager. Or, I'd go the other way and have a light lager, like a pilsner.

Of course, a good Vienna lager is a great drink. I just usually prefer something different along side of a similar beer.

Quick Reply