HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Good Beer Bars and/or Micro Breweries in Milwaukee Wisconsin?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 03:55 AM   #1
dtduffy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Good Beer Bars and/or Micro Breweries in Milwaukee Wisconsin?

Alright HBT friends. You gave me great places when I was in AZ. Now my job is sending me to Milwaukee Wisconsin. I really only have 2 nights to find a place to drink that fine beers of that state. So where's a good place to go? Also I'd like to bring back some bottles since we can't get Bell's, Founders etc here in Reno. So bottle shops are also on my list. Any help would be awesome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 04:10 AM   #2
xsists
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The only beer bar in Milwaukee that I know and I have been to is Sugar Maple (mysugarmaple.com). They had a pretty good selection and it rotates often. The time I was there was after a big snow storm and they were out of a lot of stuff because the shipments got pushed back.

As for bottles, check out Discount Liquor in Milwaukee or Three Cellars in Franklin. Discount will have the best selection but Three Cellars has a completely WI section. I was just at Three Cellars last weekend and the selection was low but I managed to find some good bottles in there.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 18

For breweries, there is Sprecher and Lakefront. I prefer Lakefront. Honestly, the Miller tour is pretty interesting too. If you have time, its not a bad thing to see.

If you're there on a Friday night, Lakefront brewery has a really fun fish-fry (polka band, beer, fish fry, good stuff). Their tours and beer are good too.

As for bottles to bring home, you can only get New Glarus in Wisconsin, so look for those. They have some interesting Unplugged beers (their experimental line) which are a bit hit or miss (The apple ale was a bit dissapointing. They had a sour one that was pretty good. There is also a Golden Strong w/ brett that is interersting). I like most of their regular beers. They tend to be on the sessionable side of the spectrum, but I like that.

Sugar maple is a great pick. Its in Bay View. There are quite a few fun bars/restaurants down there.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
GeoGirl
Recipes 

Lakefront recently made it into a Top 10 list for brewery tours. The list was published in the Chicago Tribune and covered breweries all over the US.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've heard that Roman's Pub is amazing, although I've never been there.

On Tap: Orange Chocolate Stout, Belgian Wit, Chocolate Rye Ale, Belgian Singel, American Pale Ale
Bottled: PB&J Sweet Stout, Belgian Saison, Brown Porter

Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

It's not technically a beer bar, but Von Trier is a great place. I used to frequent it when I was in Milwaukee for college. There was some talk about them being foreclosed on a few years back, so I don't know if it is still around.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
JJL

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 on Lakefront. I've been on the tour a couple of times. It's worth the $6. I heard somewhere that they had done some remodeling recently to make the tour better.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

If you are around on a Friday night, I'd also recommend the Lakefront Fish Fry/Brewery tour. I used to do that at least once a month.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
MSOE_HomeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You have to come check out AJ bombers in downtown Milwaukee! They won food wars and have a pretty good beer selection. Trust me go in sit at the bar order a Milwaukee burger and a spotted cow. They have this awesome peanut delivery system that sends peanuts through a bomb type delivery track it's really awesome!! You won't regret it.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Make sure to have a New Glarus Spotted Cow while you are there. It's a 'Farmhouse Ale' (as they call it), i find it more like a kolsch, but it's pretty amazing. Only available in WI, so drink it up while you're there.

Quick Reply