Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Gonna get slammed for posting this.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
frontiercdk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Gonna get slammed for posting this.

I have done a little reserch on the subject of pasteurization and found most advice given is the basically same:

"its dumb, dont do it!"
or
" there is really nothing to gain, dont do it!"
or
" you will ruin the taste, dont do it!"
or
"you lose your ABV, dont do it!"

The common thread between all of these advice givers was they had never done it themselves!

This process was originally developed to lengthen the shelf life of beer or to stop unwanted fermentation. I dont care about maximizing shelf life i just want to stop unwanted fermentation as mentioned at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pasteurization

I want to "back sweeten" some beer for the wife using a little frozen juice concentrate (cheeeeep!). What I would like to do is after fermentation is complete transfer the beer back into my sanke keg, add the juice, put the lid on it heat it to the proper temp then let it cool, force carbonate and be done.

My questions are:

What temp?
How long?
How much pressure will be created during the process (I have tested my kegs and weld at 50psi)?

Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
Uziyahu
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You could use chemical means to stop fermentation and keep all the taste you would lose if you pasteurize. Wine makers routinely use potassium sorbate for this purpose.

From what I hear, pasteurizing is most useful for people who want to back sweeten and bottle condition. In a keg, you don't need the yeast to carbonate, but you also don't need heat to stop fermentation.

Sorry about not speaking to your question. I have no experience with pasteurization. I just thought I would provide an alternative that might be easier to do than heat up 5 gallons of beer.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Also look into using lactose

Old 03-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I didn't read your post, but you're doing it wrong.
When you title a new post, always use the subject, not some random statement.
Try to avoid going on and on about stupid ****.

Keg #1: Empty
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: Bavarian Hefeweizen

Fermenter #1 Thor's Hammer

Superbowl champions.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I'm confused. The reason you want to pasteurize is so you can back sweeten some beer? Wouldn't be much easier to just add some juice to your beer right when you drink it? It is essentially the same end product.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2043 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 4079

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontiercdk View Post
I have done a little reserch on the subject of pasteurization and found most advice given is the basically same:

"its dumb, dont do it!"
or
" there is really nothing to gain, dont do it!"
or
" you will ruin the taste, dont do it!"
or
"you lose your ABV, dont do it!"

The common thread between all of these advice givers was they had never done it themselves!

This process was originally developed to lengthen the shelf life of beer or to stop unwanted fermentation. I dont care about maximizing shelf life i just want to stop unwanted fermentation as mentioned at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pasteurization

I want to "back sweeten" some beer for the wife using a little frozen juice concentrate (cheeeeep!). What I would like to do is after fermentation is complete transfer the beer back into my sanke keg, add the juice, put the lid on it heat it to the proper temp then let it cool, force carbonate and be done.

My questions are:

What temp?
How long?
How much pressure will be created during the process (I have tested my kegs and weld at 50psi)?
I'm gonna put a huge IDK on that, but have fun with the project & let us know how it goes!

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 03-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I back-sweetened a cider without pasteurization. The keg temps kept it from fermenting the juice.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
gstrawn
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

I have pastuerized a cider which I back sweetened. If not done carefully it CAN be dangerous. The reason it is dangerous is that pressurized glass bottles can explode, which happened to me, but fortunately the lid to the kettle was on. I got my water to 170, and let the bottle sit for 10 minutes. I found a link of here somewhere about flash pastuerizing saying what temp for how long. 130 for 20 min or something, and up to 200 it was only a few seconds. Don't take this for fact. Just from memory. It was easy for me because I knew the bottles would be up to about 170 in ten min but your sanke would take a long time to get there.

All this to say you can carb your keg with co2 tanks, like you do anyways, and don't need to pastuerize after being in the bottle. I'd recommend just using chems and do what you always do. Also, I'd guess keezer temps would prevent muh fermentation anyways

Old 03-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #9
November
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz View Post
I back-sweetened a cider without pasteurization. The keg temps kept it from fermenting the juice.
This is what I usually do if I plan to keep it in a keg. If I plan on bottling from the keg then I add potassium sorbate before sweetening.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #10
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Adding sorbate and sulfite is much easier than pasteurization. But as others have mentioned, adding lactose or other unfermentables would do the trick too.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply