Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Gonna add some more yeast to an already bottled Barleywine...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
stjackson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Gonna add some more yeast to an already bottled Barleywine...

I bottled a 10.8% barleywine about 7 weeks ago. I popped one open last week and there was zero carbonation. I wasn't totally surprised by this, but I did expect at least a few bubbles. Anyway, I know that I can just leave it longer and it might carbonate with what yeast is left sometime this decade, but I wanted to speed the process along so I can maybe drink a few of these at Christmas.

This is my plan, someone tell me if there is a better way:

Buy some US-05; properly re-hydrate. Using a sanitized pipette, put a couple of drops of the hydrated yeast into the bottle, recap.

That seems really simple, right? I don't see why that won't work, but I figured I would take advantage of the vast collection of brewing knowledge on the forums since I have it at my disposal; no point in going into this uninformed.

The only thing I'm unsure of is whether or not the newly added yeast will be too stressed in the high-alcohol environment.

I welcome any input. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
RobMT
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd use champagne yeast instead. Are you certain you didn't forget your priming sugar?

Old 10-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
stjackson
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMT View Post
I'd use champagne yeast instead. Are you certain you didn't forget your priming sugar?
Yes, the sugar is in there.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Stop whatever you were planning on doing. The same thing has happened to me and I have addressed this question at least three other times. As long as you know there is yeast and priming sugar in there it will carb. I had a 10.7% ABV barleywine that took 3 months to carbonate. Those yeast are working under extremely stressful conditions, so it's going to take some time for them to convert the sugar, but they will.

Patience.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
JonBoy47
Recipes 

I have the same problem but my 11.7% barleywine has been in the bottle for 5 months. I was also considering adding yeast to the bottles. Does anyone know of a downside to this? Any tips for success?

Quick Reply