New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > gone with the wind

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
hopsalot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default gone with the wind

Brewed an all grain pale rye ale, went to pitch yeast, the wind picked up and less than a third of the yeast blew into the darkness. The next day it was bubbling, after a week if my gravity is not right should I pitch more yeast? My OG was 1.058if my gravity is not close to 1.010 I will probably pitch more.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Was it nottingham? You should probubly be fine. BierMuncher did an experiment with 10 gallon batches. He used 1/2 a pack of notty per carboy and it fermented out fine.

I say you'll be ok but you can always pitch more yeast...couldn't hurt. I know the liquid town just has white labs (except for dry champain yeast ) and the toddy shoppe only has montrachet and champain yeast so if you need some more I'm pretty sure I've got a pack hanging out in the fridge (in fact I've got some washed notty I'd give ya...)

Good luck and save me a couple of this one!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsalot
Brewed an all grain pale rye ale, went to pitch yeast, the wind picked up and less than a third of the yeast blew into the darkness. The next day it was bubbling, after a week if my gravity is not right should I pitch more yeast? My OG was 1.058if my gravity is not close to 1.010 I will probably pitch more.
Sounds like you are OK.

I move my fermenters inside for areation, final temp check, and yeast pitching. I also turn off any Heat/AC so there's no air moving around dust, pollen, etc.

Just my two cents. Works for me.

Quick Reply