Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Going to West Coast - What beers can't I miss?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #21
Dziuggy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

in SF definitely hit Toronado it is great. from bears that havent been mentioned:

Iron Springs Casey Jones Double IPA -awesome stuff sometimes toronado hasit on handpump! Iron springs is in fairfax just across golden gate bridge from SF.

another couple breweries: Anderson Valley, Moonlight and actually even sierra has some decent beers out here like torpedo and tumbler.

and as you said and everyone seems to agree Russian River!!!! if you like sours Concecration, suplication and beatification is the best! damnation is awesome etc etc ++++

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #22
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

so looks like Toronado is a 40min stumble from where I'm staying and apparently my friend in SF was already planning on taking me, so I think we found where I'll be while her and SWMBO are shopping. definitely loving that beer list! probably gunna hit up the rogue brewpub, 21st ammendment, and speakeasy too
any thoughts on city beer store? looks like its got a pretty good selection and is close by: http://www.citybeerstore.com/beer-store/home

not so sure if can do any of the LA ones yet though since its a bit harder to get to. most of the time is gunna be in santa monica and malibu so something around there would be great if anyone knows

Old 09-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #23
heywolfie1015
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_key View Post
How are you getting from LA to SF?
If driving on the 101, the Firestone Walker brewery is right along the way. I highly recommend their unfiltered DBA in their taproom.
+1 to Firestone Walker, even if you can't make it to the brewery. Double Barrel Ale (English Pale Ale-style beer, fermented in oak casks) and Pale 31 (American Pale Ale) are two of my favorites, and Union Jack IPA gets even a non-hophead like me yearning for more.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #24
balazs
Recipes 

Anderson Valley is another good one

Old 09-15-2010, 03:02 AM   #25
wacko
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

See if you can find a 6 pack of Caldera IPA. It comes in neon yellow cans. Heck try their amber or pale ale as well if you can find them. They're out of sourthern Oregon (ashland)

Old 09-15-2010, 03:32 AM   #26
dcp27
Recipes 

to those that suggested anderson valley, great call. I've seen it around here and finally got around to trying the hop ottin tonight after these suggestions. definitely enjoyed it I think I've seen the amber and esb around here too. those worth a shot or are there better ones to look for?

we got a few alesmiths (had yulesmith for the first time a few weeks ago and liked that too), speakeasy (can;t remember which I had before, maybe prohibition) and ballast points (haven't seen sculpin tho) here too, so ill keep an eye out for them next time I'm at the store. any in particular recommendations with those?

I'm always trying to expand on what I've had so I nearly always buy something new everytime at the store (at least once a month), so getting these suggestions definitely helps with the choices next time so keep em coming

Old 09-15-2010, 04:01 AM   #27
dcp27
Recipes 

also I can't seem to find any of these here but have heard good things, any chance you get beers from any of these places in LA or SF?
Big Sky
Three Floyds
New Glarus
Hair of the Dog
Bells (got to try some 2H through some club members once and would love more)
Surly
New Belgium
Odell

Old 09-15-2010, 04:38 AM   #28
Manfish
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just scanned this thread, so if I repeat anyone, I am sorry... however, I just did a California run last month where I toured 7 breweries and spent time at countless bars...

My suggestions (brewery & bars) would be:
Dont miss the tour at Lagunitas in Petaluma if you can (3pm daily). That was awesome!
Russian River has a Pub in Santa Rosa with great beer and great food (their pizzas are awesome!)
21st Amendment in San Francisco with their "Live Free or Die IPA" is awesome! They also have great burgers and it's 2 blocks from AT&T Park
Anchor Brewing in SF - if you can get on the list for a tour, do it... but book it today if you havent already, cause they fill up FAST!

In the LA area:
Bootleggers Brewery in Fullerton - they have an amazing IIPA called "Knucklesandwich".
Yard House - a chain of bars that have anywhere from 130-220 different taps. Amazing selection and just seeing that # of taps, holy cow!
Father's Office in LA is a great place to hang out. Its a great bar, with a world-class chef and a really good selection of beers on tap... including Pliny The Elder

Theres a few for ya that I hit last month and really enjoyed!

Old 09-15-2010, 04:49 AM   #29
cheesewiz6
Recipes 

Default Don't remember

I was in sandiago and there was an Ipa brewed by a firehall that was great and the proceeds went to family's of fire fighters who died in duty. You might find it in La since they are pretty close. Also enjoyed the beers from mission brewery.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:52 AM   #30
cheesewiz6
Recipes 

Oh... And if you do new belgium get a ranger ipa.

Quick Reply