Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Going to Portland next week

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Sacdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Going to Portland next week

We are going to Portland next Friday. We are leaving from Sacramento. We are thinking of stopping somewhere on the way and spending the night. We rented a house in Portland from Sat to Sat. Anyone have any suggestions for a "must see" destination on the way? We are going to go up I-5. We are also looking for Breweries that we must see. So far, we have Rogue, Deshutes, Rock Bottom, and Full Sail. We will be attending the Brewfest at trhe end of the following week.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
dwarven_stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Weed, CA is home to the only 100% female owned and operated brewery in the US, iirc.

Portland breweries have a bit of everything. Check out the Cascade Barrel House if you like sours- they tap one every Tuesday straight from the barrel. Upright makes primarily saisons. Hair of the Dog does a lot of Belgians. Hopworks Urban Brewery is good, as is Alemeda. If you're up for a taphouse, the Green Dragon and Horse's Brass are two of my favorites.

Full Sail you mentioned- it's a little ways out of Portland but it's a nice drive and their pub specials are superior to a lot of their bottled stuff. If you're going to Hood River anyway, make sure you check out Double Mountain while you're there.

OBF is insane, btw. We go every year, and it's always a blast.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 07-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
Sacdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nice. Thanks for the info. I am sure we willl check most, if not all of them. The wife wants to stop in Ashland on Friday night. I see there are a few Breweries there too!

Old 07-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Caldera in Ashland is fantastic. In Portland hit Hopworks Urban Brewery, Lucky Labrador (on Hawthorne), New Old Lompoc on 23rd.

If you're hitting Full Sail on the way out, you can just head south from there and drive through Bend on the way home. You'll meet up with I-5 at Weed.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:07 AM   #5
grendle77
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think the Ashland, Medford area is a good choice ( I live in Medford). In Ashland there it caldera brewing there beer are great, and they have a large tap house down town. Stand stone is also in down town Ashland they brew on site. Medford has SOB ( southern Oregon brewing) they have a good web site you should check out I I thing they run tours every Saterday @ 15:00. Walk about brewery is Brewed in central point but distributed to all nonbrewery bars.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:50 AM   #6
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendle77 View Post
Medford has SOB ( southern Oregon brewing)
They have great beer names/labels. Love the Pin-up Porter.

edit - forgot to say, take a break in Eugene on your way North and hit Ninkasi.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:06 AM   #7
brandonhagen1
this beer is good
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 13

you cant forget eugene and ninkasi

god made beer,beer is good,beer is good,BEER!!!

from Stupid Gnome Brewing

"I feel wonderful, drinking beer in a blissful mood, with joy in my heart and a happy liver." — Sumerian inscription, 3000 BCE

Old 07-17-2011, 05:29 AM   #8
gannawdm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout View Post
Check out the Cascade Barrel House if you like sours- they tap one every Tuesday straight from the barrel.
+1 on checking out Cascade Brewing Barrel House (they REALLY need to change their name, I can never remember it). They offer around 12ish of their sour beers on tap. I've never had a sour beer as interesting as Sang Rouge - complex and delicious. Although they aren't offering tours yet, they will and when they do, the bartender told me that you would be able to take tastes straight out of sour barrels and do your own blending. I'll be all over that whenever they get their tour program together.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:46 AM   #9
Bigscience
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 on Green Dragon. They have so many good beers there that I'd say it would be worth skipping a brewery if it meant you could go there instead. I'd posed the same question about a year ago and an HBTer turned me on to it.

Also, if for some reason you feel like going up the coast, check out Pelican in Pacific City.

First they came for my Four Loko and I said nothing, then they came for my Double Imperial Espresso Stout.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
Sacdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It's a good thing we'll be up there for about 10 days! I have a lot of places to go. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quick Reply