Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Going to Chicago

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
Doongie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobly99
Tighthead in Mundelein. Not far from Mickey Finn's as listed above, but much better beer.
Tighthead beers are hoppier, but I prefer Finn's beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
Zeppman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Honestly, if you were going to Mickey Finn's, I'd say stop by Firkin which is just across the street and about 1 block north. Great beer list and some pretty good food to. Also, it's family friendly.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
Doongie
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppman
Honestly, if you were going to Mickey Finn's, I'd say stop by Firkin which is just across the street and about 1 block north. Great beer list and some pretty good food to. Also, it's family friendly.
+1, but they don't brew any of it.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #14
Zeppman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You're right, forgot to include that fact. But at the same time, last I heard there was no brewing going on at Mickey Finns... I could be wrong, but my LHBS told me something in their system broke and they haven't fixed it for some time. I may be wrong though, as I have nothing to back this up but a few rumors.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #15
TR34TM3NT
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm disappointed with the lack of Bangers & Lace mentioned in this thread... they are family welcome during the day, and the food is Michelin rated. http://bangersandlacechicago.com/

You also gotta stop by Piece Brewery & Pizzeria, it's within walking distance of B&L (or one train stop). All ages before 9pm. Their double IPA, Cameltoe, is great. As well as their oatmeal stout, Roland the headless. http://www.piecechicago.com/

And if you get some alone time from the baby, around the corner is Emporium Arcade Bar; great beers, tokens and arcade games from the 80s.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
Grinnan5150
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Regardless of whether or not 3 Floyds is family friendly, the OP said he was going to be staying north of O'Hare. 3F is awesome but it is a complete pain in the a** to get to if you are staying north of O'Hare. You're looking at 2 hours travel time (and that's not factoring in rush hour or construction).

All the recommendations are good but there are a couple others also. The Millrose brews good beer and has a good food selection. It's in the NW burbs in Hoffman Estates at the exit of 90 and Barrington Rd. The Wild Onion also has a brewery onsite as well as food. I think they are in Barrington which is right up the road.

Emmett's Ale House has a pretty good selection of beers and food. I think the closet one to O'Hare is in Dundee, IL which isn't too far. I also have to give a ringing endorsement to Gator's wingshack. They don't brew beer or have a great beer selection, but they have some of the greatest hot wings you'll ever eat!

Old 09-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #17
JPFuller
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you make it to Goose, please try a Green Line, you will thank me later.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #18
prochlea
Recipes 

Honestly - I wouldn't recommend Goose Island Brewpubs... I was very disappointed the last time I was there. They were out of most of the beers on their list, even their basic IPA. The ones they did have weren't anything to write home about. On top of that - their food was overpriced for the quality of it.

Hopleaf is great - in fact it's probably my favorite place in the city - but they don't allow kids... at any time. There's a sign on the door.

I would go for Revolution. Great food, and very good beer - though it can be very loud in there on the weekends. They have really bad acoustics, and the conversations get so loud in there that it's almost painful. Haymarket is good, so is Piece. Bangers and Lace is pretty good too, but it's more of a bar atmosphere... the "dining area" is not really separated much.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #19
JPFuller
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Honestly - I wouldn't recommend Goose Island Brewpubs... I was very disappointed the last time I was there. They were out of most of the beers on their list, even their basic IPA. The ones they did have weren't anything to write home about. On top of that - their food was overpriced for the quality of it.

I have never had that experience at Goose Island and i'm sorry that you did, but I'm thinking that it was likely an aberration. I agree with Reveloution being to loud sometime, but the brewery now has a tap room that is supposed to be much quieter, although in truth I haven't been there yet.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #20
Grinnan5150
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prochlea View Post

Hopleaf is great - in fact it's probably my favorite place in the city - but they don't allow kids... at any time. There's a sign on the door.

I would go for Revolution. Great food, and very good beer - though it can be very loud in there on the weekends. They have really bad acoustics, and the conversations get so loud in there that it's almost painful. Haymarket is good, so is Piece. Bangers and Lace is pretty good too, but it's more of a bar atmosphere... the "dining area" is not really separated much.
I wonder if this has anything to do with InBev buying Goose Island. It's been about 5 years since I've been there but they used to be top notch. Bourbon County Stout is still one of my favorite beers.

Also OP, if you are going to be in the city at all and are near Wicker Park, check out Piece. It's a brewery/pizzeria. The pizza is good and the beer is very good. Although, with children, make sure it's a lunch stop because the dinner crowd and later will definitely not be child friendly. The later it gets the more crowded it gets also.

Quick Reply